HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here fishes spoons for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who here fishes spoons for Crappie?

One of my favorite ways to fish for crappie when they're deep is by jigging spoons. A Hopkins N0=EQL in a hammered nickle finish with a dressed treble in 1/3 or 1/2 ounce size works great. The Cotton Cordell Little Mickey 1/4 ounce is a close second. I'll sometimes tie a jig on a loop knot a couple of feet up the line, but most of the time I jig the spoon by itself. I also use the Lunkerhunt micro spoons in place of the jig because they only weight 1/10 ounce, but the treble sometimes gets fouled in the loop knot. The hooks on the Lunkerhunt spoons are not the best quality in the world & they either need to be sharpened or replaced.

How about you, do you fish spoons much?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I don't specifically target crappie with spoons, but I've caught plenty on small spoons while fishing for white bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it last year for the first time, for crappie at least. I did catch a few various sized crappie. My hook-up ratio for the bp's was pretty extraordinary, however.

Post Thanks / Like

I use spoons for Crappie and blue gills. The micro's will kill bream. The 1-1.5" for crappie. If trolling use 2ea ball bearing swivels to stop line twist.
    Likes Renegade19 LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish Microspoon's baits with a minnow or plastic, while drift fishing for crappies. Very productive baits for me for years. I was on their pro staff for years.
    Likes shipahoy41, Renegade19 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably lose it on the first drop! How do you work it when you drop it down to the brush? Do you pop it up and down? How hard do you pop it?
    Likes TN. WATERSHED LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I would love to hear more about this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them in the winter when I can find fish on ledges or channels. Often an over looked bait, that will temp just about anything that swims to bite.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I've had really good luck fishing channel ledges around stumps & brush, pilings, and standing timber with spoons. What works best for me is instead of popping the rod tip up to jig, then catch the spoon's weight on the fall, is to drop the rod tip downward a few inches to drop the spoon closer to cover. Your recovery to bring the spoon back up will be slower than if you snatch it up to start and the spoon ends up swimming the whole time up & down where you can feel it. Try it shallow right beside your boat and see what I'm talking about & get the feel. You will definitely hang those trebles in cover, but instead of raring back to bury the hooks, if you lightly jiggle the rod tip, the weight of the spoon is usually enough to knock it free. It takes some practice to get the feel of it, but it is surprising how few you'll lose this way. I've caught many fish as soon as it pops free. *Rip-Rap absolutely eats spoons, consider yourself warned.* Always keep a plug knocker handy for the tough ones.

Another way I've had success is to either run the trolling motor on slow, or if there is a slight enough breeze to barely push you along, position your boat upwind above the cover/channel then drift through without imparting much action to the spoon, maybe just tap the top of the rod above the grip with your index finger. The drag of the spoon through the water is enough to cause the Hopkins N0=EQL to shimmy seductively and the dressed treble dances right along behind it. Fishing a spoon is just a different tool that the fish are not used to seeing that can definitely change your luck. The heavier weight of the spoon improves feel and helps hold it in the strike zone. We have absolutely loaded the boat with crappie using this tactic in the heat of the day in July along 20+ foot deep channels with people skiing and tubing all around us, all the way to the dead of winter barely moving the spoon. Fishing this way is a waste of time when the wind gets up, so you're better off trolling cranks instead. Be prepared to catch almost anything from white perch, to stripers, bass, & channel cats too.

Try it and you tell me how it works. Good luck & have fun.

Jim

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used spoons and blade baits with good success. Both do well and you have to learn to pay attention to every little detail or you'll not own them for long. White with a shad spot did well for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Yonder, Renegade19 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast