Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rivers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rivers?

I've always done well with crappie on lakes and backwater oxbows to rivers. Has anyone targeted the main body of a large, mature river system for crappie? If so, what do you target as far as structure goes. We have here the Connecticut River which originates in Canada and ends up in the ocean in Connecticut. On it's way, it obviously travels through my state of Massachusetts. This is a large river with several large oxbows and coves, which, I would think, would be logical target areas for crappie. Just not sure what to target? Thanks for any suggestions.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest to fish it about like anything else.Try to find lay downs and vertical structure in the oxbows.Try a spot and move on if you don't find them.Don't get stressed if you do not find them immediately. You will eventually....Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

BRIDGES first .....bright sunshine days and in the shade .....bet there are crappie under them myself ....timber of any kind second ....river ledges and channels as well ....if you can find large bait schools the crappie will be somewhere near them is my thought ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Same way we fish lakes