HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Rods

For those of you that troll crankbaits for crappie, what type of rods do you use?

We just started trolling a couple of years ago when I screwed a couple of rod holders to the back deck, about the same time I bought a newer trolling motor.

We've just used whatever rod is handy, and judging by the bend in one the other day we're too lightweight. Since we've had some luck landing bigger crappie (and a host of other species) trolling, I think it is time to invest in a couple of rods that are more suited for the purpose.

Interested in the MO braintrust's input on length, weight, etc.

Thanks!Name:  5594b4b7c9a0e.image.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  41.6 KB
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

These are the ones we've grown to love and try to use exclusively........ the only time I'm using additional rods is when we run 8 - 10 rods while pulling cranks.

I like the one-piece telescoping 8'6" and 9'. They have plenty of backbone for planers but also enough sensitivity to long line. Pair them up with some Okuma line-counter reels and you're getting dangerous.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...ods/727531.uts

U
    Likes goggle-eye LIKED above post

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Rods

If I'm just pulling crank baits, B&M PST's work fine. I've pushed up to 4oz weights with them no problem. Get a couple of 8, 10 and 12 footers so you can stagger your lines. For planer boards, you need something in the medium heavy range. A stout bass rod or catfish rod. I use Diawa downrigger rods from Wally World for dragging planers

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff
    Likes Snagged again, crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

About the same as Speck said.
    B&M PST's 8,12,and 16's for pulling.Also use them for pushing but look forward to owning B&M's Pow-R-Troll rods (hopefully later this year rumors say) with more backbone for pushing.Have used some others years ago .A lot depends on how you are set-up.
    There are a lot of good reports coming from guys on the Southern Crappie rod SCR143T's.

Post Thanks / Like

B&m pst rods are bullet proof. I've only broke them by stepping on them. They handle all the fish I've caught and a lot of stuff that I've snagged on the bottom. Just recently acquired some Southern's 12 and 14 t's to push with. Looking forward to see how they do.
    Likes Snagged again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all,
    I'll go look at some rods this weekend (shopping for fishing gear is the next best thing to being able to be on the water).
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Wally Marshall Troll Tech rods for the past 5yrs, no complaints here. I actually picked up a set of 10' troll techs on sale last winter that still have the tags on them. They were an instinct buy that I'm probably not going to use. If you're interested in them, shoot me a Message.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route U View Post
    These are the ones we've grown to love and try to use exclusively........ the only time I'm using additional rods is when we run 8 - 10 rods while pulling cranks.

I like the one-piece telescoping 8'6" and 9'. They have plenty of backbone for planers but also enough sensitivity to long line. Pair them up with some Okuma line-counter reels and you're getting dangerous.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...ods/727531.uts

U
    Well, after shopping around for a bit, I bought two of the 8'6" ones that ROUTE U suggested, and got them with line-counter reels. They're all spooled up, and we're headed to Bucksaw after work. If we get tired of jigging, we'll break these things in!

Thanks to all for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlsiv View Post
    Well, after shopping around for a bit, I bought two of the 8'6" ones that ROUTE U suggested, and got them with line-counter reels. They're all spooled up, and we're headed to Bucksaw after work. If we get tired of jigging, we'll break these things in!

Thanks to all for the help!
    I think you'll like them a lot.

That being said, when you become addicted to crankin and end up spending all kinds of money on crankbaits, rods, reels, planer boards, rod holders, kicker motor, lead core, braided line, snaps, swivels, crankbait storage, etc....... remember this simple response............

"IT'S SPECK'S FAULT!"

Things were so much simpler (but not near as much fun) before I took that trip to 'Sippi!

U
    Likes Speck, crappiebum_kc LIKED above post
    Thanks Lene, Jigging15 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

although I don't own them, I hear southern crappie rods 143T is a big hit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast