HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A true fish tale!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A true fish tale!

Walt & I were planning on taking the boat out today, but due to the rain forecast, we pushed it off. So, I took my UL rod down to the Oxbow to try for some crappie from shore. Not much happening until around 8:00 am. Made a cast with the tiny jig. Felt the familiar "tick" and set the hook. All of a sudden it started getting really heavy and the "fish" started taking line off the drag! Definitely NOT a crappie.

Fought the fish for a few minutes with SHSS bent almost double, figuring I hooked a big carp and that it was going to strip out all my 2 lb. test line and spool me. No way I could prevent it. However, I continued to fight the fish as best I could, holding my finger on the line spool, to assist the drag, as it surged out and started plowing through a weedbed. I figured, that's it.....here's where it breaks off. I kept a steady hold on the fish and it actually got itself out of the weeds. How I still had it on was amazing to me.

Finally I was able to start steering the head towards my shoreline. I climbed down the side of the bank in hopes of at least seeing the fish. It came up and I was amazed to see that I had a huge largemouth bass on......maybe 6 to 8 pounds? The behemoth rose with only it's head out of the water (it was too big to jump), opened it's mouth and - believe it or not - out pops my crappie with my jig still in it's mouth! The bass just sunk back down into the depths. I unhooked my crappie and tossed it back, although it was pretty bad shape by that time. It was 9".

I know they grow pretty big in these waters (state record is 15 lbs, believe it or not!). I've also "heard" of people down south having this similar experience. Just never heard of anyone around our neck of the woods having it happen to them. Then it started to rain so I quit after catching about a 1/2 doz. more crappie from that spot. Sure do wish I had a vidcam today! That'd be something for the books! LOL!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a lot of fun and adventure!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you just hate it when that happens?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for sharing. Enjoyed the post.

Post Thanks / Like

A story about the one that got away ...and the one that didn't...If your line would have broke you never would have known....Thanks for sharing

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story and a good result, in that you got to see it before it said goodbye. I had it happen to me on Tim's Ford lake in TN once, and I had a witness. Fun stuff.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Really cool story, ain't fishing crazy at times?

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Great fish tail.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. Great Fish Tale !
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    - Tony Blake

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great adventure! Thanks for sharing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast