PDA

View Full Version : Are those BPS Crappie Max poles worth having?

Yak Fish
06-26-2017, 10:19 PM
I received a pair of 8' Crappie Maxx Pro poles from the Bass Pro Shop as gifts and wondered what other's experiences were like with them? I have read where other brands are more favored here, but since they didn't cast me anything, I plan to give them a proper testing. I have a pair of Mr. Crappie Solo reels to go on them. Thanks for replies & opinions.

Jim

jwilson48
06-26-2017, 10:25 PM
They're not bad rods. I've really liked some of them. My biggest complaint is the last two 11 ft I've had both broke at the tip and neither was abused. Broke simply catching crappie and they don't offer replacement tips. Have to throw away a $60 rod when several other brands I could have bought a $20 tip and been back fishing again. For that reason alone I won't buy another

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

skeetbum
06-27-2017, 03:12 AM
I have a couple of 11 footers that have served me well. I used em to push mostly and hung em up a couple of times and waited for the sound of it breaking but it never came. So far, so good for me.

jimp
06-27-2017, 05:54 AM
I've got several of them, the red colored ones for pulling cranks and the bright green for long lining. Work just fine for my purposes. You'll see lots of comments about people breaking the tips off on all different brands and they are looking for the tips, etc. BPS will replace the broken ones w/o question 99% of the time. If you don't want them, take 'em back and exchange 'em.

I bought a Trout Magnet rod, twice as a matter of fact, and the tip broke both times. No more TM rods for me.

trypman1
06-27-2017, 12:36 PM
They work great for me, 2/ 14' & 1-8'

firefighteremt31750
06-27-2017, 01:15 PM
They're not worth a darn. Box them up and ship'em to me. Need my address???

No seriously, I've owned 3-4 of the 9&10ft crappie max rods and the have performed just as good as my B'n'Ms. I still have most of them. I think one broke but only due to my error. In fact my favorite combos I have are a couple of 8ft B'n'M BGJP'S paired with the old gold/black crappie Maxx reel.

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
06-27-2017, 02:41 PM
I've got several of them, the red colored ones for pulling cranks and the bright green for long lining. Work just fine for my purposes. You'll see lots of comments about people breaking the tips off on all different brands and they are looking for the tips, etc. BPS will replace the broken ones w/o question 99% of the time. If you don't want them, take 'em back and exchange 'em.

I bought a Trout Magnet rod, twice as a matter of fact, and the tip broke both times. No more TM rods for me.

Just curious which Trout Magnet rod you bought and how did it break?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimp
06-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Just curious which Trout Magnet rod you bought and how did it break?

Regards

Model SLS 150 6'6" Light action Sore Lip Series, 1st Edition
IIRC, both broke about 1/3 down from the tip, don't really remember the "how", other than no abuse, just fishing with 'em in a normal manner.

Alphahawk
06-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Model SLS 150 6'6" Light action Sore Lip Series, 1st Edition
IIRC, both broke about 1/3 down from the tip, don't really remember the "how", other than no abuse, just fishing with 'em in a normal manner.

I would call Trout Magnet and talk to them. If they broke under normal use.....and are not several years old I am pretty sure they will replace them.

Regards

DHC
06-27-2017, 08:54 PM
I would call Trout Magnet and talk to them. If they broke under normal use.....and are not several years old I am pretty sure they will replace them.

Regards

I'm about 99.9% sure Jeff would replace them.

Yak Fish
06-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the replies & opinions. The poles look pretty sturdy, but only way to test performance is to give them a proper workout. I plan to bust one of the local lakes wide open this weekend. I'll report how it goes, hopefully with pics attached.

Jim

mccowan
06-28-2017, 09:29 AM
I have 2-11 footers, 1-10 footer, and a 7 footer. I spider rig with longer poles and cast with shorter. I like mine, only problem is they are not as long as I wish. I have had mine doubled over under boat hung up in trees and never had one break. I am pretty rough on them too. The 7 footer is a great rod. My wife picked it out for her but I use it if she ain't with me.

jimp
06-28-2017, 07:19 PM

Regards

They did replace one and it broke as well. This happened a couple years ago. I was happy they replaced one, but not that they kept breaking in the same manner. Bad batch I guess.

Yonder
06-28-2017, 08:02 PM
I really don't know how rods, of "ANY" make, just break....
Must be some mean Specks around!

CrappiePappy
06-28-2017, 08:18 PM
I really don't know how rods, of "ANY" make, just break....
Must be some mean Specks around!

Sometimes they're made with an inferior batch of blanks, guides are not put on the correct seam, or they get mishandled during shipment. That's not to even consider that simply dropping them in the boat, putting undue stress on the tips during normal fishing activities, or having them bounce against the boat during transport can weaken the rods to the point where they fail under normal fishing activities. And you may not even be aware of these things happening, but the cumulative effects can weaken the rod yet still be unnoticeable.

Yonder
06-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Now that I can understand. Not knowing the previous damage existed, would give that impression!