HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A good pontoon for Trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A good pontoon for Trolling?

Anyone have one? Looks ideal. I'm trying to spend my dad's money for him!!
    Floor Plans & Specs - Angler Qwest Pontoons
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

They look good, maybe let us know which model you're looking for. I'm sure someone will chime in. I never owned one so I really can't help much.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks rebranger thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There's a guide in SC, Buster Rush, he longline trolls out of a toon. You don't see a lot of that, he has a bunch of you tube videos you may want to look to see how he is set up. A member on here Scooperdude ,also troll out of a pontoon..
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

I would think other than getting your spot quickly trolling from a pontoon would be way more comfortable while still remaining just as productive as any other boat. With way more room. Only problem I could see with it is in the spring when the fish are shallow. They either could not get to where the fish are or make too much noise and spooking them. But that is just a roughly a month per year. I too am in the process of searching for a GREAT deal for a toon. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have spider rigged and pulled cranks out of a couple. Have good points and bad points. Comfortable on good days yes. Family friendly yes. Getting in tight spots no. Boat control if wind is blowing or rough sucks. Even with 112 Terrva. Just like every boat out there lots of plus minus. Depends on what your wants and needs are. Biggest thing I have against them are boat storage. Launch and load and the beating they take trail Keri game on a regular basis. Both that I fish out of are beat up from just running up and down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Pontoon and a Jon Boat when I joined C.Com in '99. I now have a Pondtoon and a Jon Boat. I haven't "evolved" much, but I tried.

Windy days were tough with the Lowe pontoon as there was no autopilot trolling motor available. Windy days are fairly easy with my Pondtoon as it has a low profile like a bass boat and is powered with the Ulterra. Big difference. Boat control is a main issue. Love the space!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole.

I spoke with the Pondtoon people today, very nice guy to chat with. What size sides did you opt to go with?
    He said most people tend to opt for 18 inch side, because they are about the height of the seats and interferes less with casting etc. Just curious on what your take on it is?

Also, if you were to build another Pondtoon, what would you have done differently in your build?

thx

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oomph View Post
    Cane Pole.

I spoke with the Pondtoon people today, very nice guy to chat with. What size sides did you opt to go with?
    He said most people tend to opt for 18 inch side, because they are about the height of the seats and interferes less with casting etc. Just curious on what your take on it is?

Also, if you were to build another Pondtoon, what would you have done differently in your build?

thx
    I have 24 inch rails. Great hand rails for us elderly c.com members. I bought the basic hull. I assembled the boat in the driveway with Brenda's help. Main thing I didn't like was the way they run the original wiring, a really cheeezie wiring install. I am fixin' it my way (as we speak or as I type). I really enjoy the boat. I built a lot of specialty devices such as joy stick steering. No console, no tiller. I have lots of walk around room. I will be putting up some pictures before long as I am finishing up my updates and paint job. Fishing sucks here, so I piddle more with the boatand fish less.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G", blueball, Clint LIKED above post