Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loop Knot Trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loop Knot Trouble

How do you tie your loop knot? I was playing around with longlining two jigs to get them deeper. I separate the jigs about 2-3'. On the top jig, I am having trouble tieing a 2-3" loop knot that won't pull down. Any tips on loop knots for a top jig?

Post Thanks / Like

Run line through jig pulling enough excess to tie on bottom jig. Hold both strands of line above jig then take jig around 2 fingers and pass back through the loop you have made with your fingers. Slide the line up to make the size loop u want. Wet line and cinch down. This will not slip if done correctly. Have used this knot for years

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks dwight. I need to master this.

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Make three pass throughs instead of one.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes armyman, skeetbum, "G", Spaceman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer not to use a loop knot. Abrasion for the lure eye rubbing freely against the line could cause line failure. Instead I use "Snap Hooks" (size @2) from Netcraft. These tiny, light wire hooks facilitate a "loop", are more failure resistant and allow quick change of jigs on the spot. Been using them for many years now. Great product:

Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I prefer not to use a loop knot. Abrasion for the lure eye rubbing freely against the line could cause line failure. Instead I use "Snap Hooks" (size @2) from Netcraft. These tiny, light wire hooks facilitate a "loop", are more failure resistant and allow quick change of jigs on the spot. Been using them for many years now. Great product:

Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying
    Have used some like that in SS, but never tried them in Bronze. However I found some I like a lot more, but the guy stopped importing that size so I bought every bit of them he had left and have been selling them for several years now and I use them even just using one jig when I longline. They only come 3 to a pack so cost a bit more than yours, but also they jigs can't come off like it can on the one your using. I had one tied on the end of my line and the double drop attached to one of the little hooks like you have. I got a big crappie on and he came up to the surface and came out of the water and when he dropped back in the water the entire double drop came unhooked! Anyway both work, I just like these little snaps better for me.
    DSC06299.JPG

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

3 Loops will do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwightparks View Post
    Run line through jig pulling enough excess to tie on bottom jig. Hold both strands of line above jig then take jig around 2 fingers and pass back through the loop you have made with your fingers. Slide the line up to make the size loop u want. Wet line and cinch down. This will not slip if done correctly. Have used this knot for years
    This worked great and 3 loops seemed to make it even stronger. Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Skiptomylu - Very interesting! I've been using these snap hooks for more years than I can remember and have landed countless crappie, trout, bass and pike. Never had that happen to me! I started using these when I use to fly fish for quick change of flies (which is what Mustad intended them for).

Never a failure during those early years either. I suppose it could happen though. I'll still keep using them regardless - as I've said many times, I'm strictly a CPR fisherman and loosing a fish or two is the least most important thing to me these days. I'd probably sing a different tune if I were in a tournament, but since that will never be in the cards for me, I'm pretty safe with what I have been using.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Any pics of the finished product using the snap hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast