Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just before dark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just before dark

So you're out on the lake just before dark and all kinds of fish stay swirling at the surface. What kind of fish are these? I see them in shallow and deep water but can't identify them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Around here on Truman lake if they jump they're usually carp but if they just pucker the water with their backs then they are gar. We also have shad that will become more active in the evening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

They could be wht bass or just about any kind of fish, use your trolling motor and get a cast length away and cast a small top water bait or a light jig at them and catch one then you will know for sure

Post Thanks / Like

In Alabama - its gars

Post Thanks / Like

If they are large schools that move rapidly from location to location I would guess White Bass. If the bait fish move to the surface predators will follow. You see this kind of thing with Striped Bass chasing bunker in salt water and all predators will exhibit similar patterns if they travel in schools.

Bass will typically only slightly break the surface and are hard to see as individuals unless you are really close.

As mentioned previously German carp tend to jump exposing more of their body. If you have Asian carp they may behave differently but I have little experience with them outside of rivers.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen just about every fish pop something on the surface at one time or another. In the morning, when they school and make the surface seemingly boil with activity, a lot of different predatory fish will be in the same group sometimes. Tim's Ford in TN had that going on one day and a guy bank fishing got a small striper, LMB and white bass, and 2 nice crappie. They were chasing threadfin shad and as soon as the sun got over the trees they quit. As already said, a small topwater or a Little George or Rooster tail will also do the job. Little George is just a chunk of lead and will cast a very long way. Have it moving when it hits the water.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like carp. Their mating rituals start now.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."