HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spoons and resting Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spoons and resting Crappie

I found this interesting. I was fishing for White Bass with a three inch salt and pepper lead spoon where my fish finder indicated a large school of small fish one foot off the bottom in 20 feet of water. Turns out they were crappie as I caught three on the spoon. I switched to a slab buster crappie jig and could not catch any Crappie on it but did catch a While Bass. The White Bass apparently would hit anything I throw at them as they were actively feeding on the surface. The Crappie tended to get hooked on the treble loosely around the mouth or even out side it, several were hooked mid body. My explanation is that Crappie were not feeding but simply attacking or driving off non Crappie. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I need a 3" salt and pepper lead spoon

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this many times. Crappie with set-up under white bass and eat the shad that the white bass kill and they flutter down and your correct they will not hit a jig when this is happening. I don't think they are hungry they are just reacting to the flutter . One time my brother put a whipping on my with dead minnows under the same conditions the dead minnows would flutter just like a spoon. You couldn't buy a bite on a live minnow or jig.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. Those white bass are fun when they are schooling.