Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 6/20/17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 6/20/17

We hit the Quabbin today for a round of crappie fishing, launching around 8 am in a Quabbin Rental boat - first time in a long time for a rental for me! Walt was not able to go out today, so I paired up with another local fisherman, Jim, for this trip. A very fine experience indeed.

Air & water temps were about the same, 72 degrees. Water warmed up to about 74 degrees and the air kicked up to the mid-80's by the time we pulled off at 1:00 pm. Wind was kicking pretty good when we first arrived. And it stayed that way until we were up against 20 mph wind & 2' white caps! Which is why we pulled off when we did. Very stable rental boats however, so I wasn't really concerned; just better to err on the safe side of things.

We ended up with 27 fish, most of which were crappie. We also got the two pictured rainbows, which were small by normal standards, but fun regardless. We also got several bluegill to round out the day. Great time to be had on the water and with a fine fisherman like Jim. We did good folks! Here are some pictures:

Name:  Jim_1.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  Jim_2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  Jim_3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  124.6 KB

Biggest of the day:

Name:  Rich_4.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  143.1 KB

The straight tailed plastics performed the best today, followed by the Sliders. Could not buy a bite on the Roadrunner today, for whatever reason? Still a fine experience and a joy to dream about until next time. It's now "Miller Time" Folks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like another fine day for you guys on the Q.
    Do you keep any of your catch for the table? I don't keep any trout I happen to catch around here; just don't like them on the plate like I do the other panfish. But those rainbows do put up a decent fuss when hooked, making them fun on light gear.

Thanks for posting!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6poundtest View Post
    Looks like another fine day for you guys on the Q.
    Do you keep any of your catch for the table? I don't keep any trout I happen to catch around here; just don't like them on the plate like I do the other panfish. But those rainbows do put up a decent fuss when hooked, making them fun on light gear.

Thanks for posting!
    We are all strictly catch & release. I much prefer salt water fish for the table. Besides, getting on in years it's a real chore to clean a dozen or more crappie, prep the filets. store them properly and cook 'em up. The do taste pretty good though. I just don't care for all that work any more.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."