Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig weight options

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig weight options

I would like someone to discuss the size or weight of jigs they prefer and do they vary by conditions fished? I have found so much useful info on this site.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doghead82
    I would like someone to discuss the size or weight of jigs they prefer and do they vary by conditions fished? I have found so much useful info on this site.

Thanks in advance
    Trolling in the spring I like using a 1/32oz early when I fish water 3' to say 6' then later in spring I like 1/16oz when I am trolling in water 6' to say 13' or so.

On windy days like yesterday I was fishing water 21' or so and used a 1/4oz jig. All summer fishing brush piles I like 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz.

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fish 8 to 10 feet deep in windy conditions here on Lake Nimrod. Most of the guys up here favor 1/8 oz jig heads but I really like 1/4 oz jigheads from www.bigheadjigs.com

I also use the 3/16 oz jigheads from Crappiepro with the 2" Yum Beavertails.

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

shallow water (3 to 5 ft.) under a float we use 1/48 or 1/32 oz heads.
    for "pitching" or tightlining shallow structure, we use 1/16 or 1/8 oz heads.
    for summer or winter deep water, we use 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 oz heads.
    for windy conditions, we usually go at least one size up so we can still feel the jig

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I like to fish a 3/32 oz jig that I pour up myself with #2 sickle hooks. I do a lot of vertical jigging in shallow water up to 6ft and this jig gives me enough weight to feel the brush and the bottom but it is still light enough to let you have a slow controled fall.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Mainly 1/16 but as heavy as 1/8 - 1/4 in moving water, and as small as 1/64 when they are being finicky. Get a variety and see what works for you.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-07-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16th is the most versitile jig that I use. Always keep a couple hundred of those in my box. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32 the most and just change my movements or tactics.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Primarily .....

Quote Originally Posted by doghead82

Thanks in advance
    I use 1/16oz jigheads, in most all conditions ... and depths up to 20ft. I do, occasionally, use 1/32oz jigheads to shoot docks ... especially if the fish seem to want a slower fall, or smaller bait. Wind is the biggest problem for us jig slingers ... but, even that can be overcome, with a bobber - heavier jighead - or change in presentation method (hence my experience with Vertical Casting).
    I'm currently waiting for some "special custom made" jigheads, from Crappie Magic. Short shank hook on 1/8oz head with synthetic material body/tail ... what I've jokingly referred to as "Bubba headed jigs". :D ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My goto jig size is a 1/32. If i am "searching" i will go to a 1/8 in order to cover more ground. Always tip my jigs with nibbles or wax worms. Am considering the bait pump to inject nibbles into the body. I am fond of having something on the hook to give some action and slow the jig down.

my .02
    chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D