Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brookville fri/Sat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brookville fri/Sat

Went out after work friday morning, Didnt get on the water until around 8:15am. Got stopped by DNR right before we left Garr hill cove, random checks I guess. Started fishing at the flats right outside Garr hill, and had slow but pretty steady action- so we stayed in the same place all morning. Wound up limiting out by about lunchtime, which was good because I was exhausted after a 12hr night of work and simmering in the heat all morning! All fish were smaller, but out of 10 caught only 1 was too short to keep, not too shabby. Had a couple others species, smallmouth, whitebass.

Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  63.5 KB

Wife was hoping to catch something bigger I think, and was excited to return. She wanted to go again (actually wanted to go that night for catfish, but I needed sleep in a bad way!) We decided to fight the crowds and go early Sat morning.

We got a good start and hit the water at 6:30am. No DNR this time! We went straight to the same flat, and saw 16 boats huddled in a pile. The "hotspot" we got good bites around yesterday was away from the other boats, and it quickly proved to still be working, so we had fairly open water to fish in at first. We had 4 keepers before 8am, and had planned on keeping only enough for supper. The bite was decent, so it was hard to leave. We picked up 2 more fish before finally deciding to try something new.

We hit a new spot off the beach, spent some time searching.. Was about ready to give up and move on as we weren't sure if it was the "right" spot we were told about, when I hooked a good 19"er. Wife soon had one she lost at the boat that looked similar. Then a pontoon full of kids blasted in 100ft from us, stopping right on the edge of the tiny point we were trolling. Long story short, they goofed around, then powered away and I'm guessing ruined it for us. No other fish here. We hit Egypt hollow flats, which noone was really fishing at this point. We picked up 2 fish quickly, but had nothing else but bites.

We stopped back at Garr hill flats before leaving, now focused on filling our limit. We spent another hour or so, getting blasted by huge boat wake, before we finally landed 2 more keepers. We caught several short fish here again, as well as a huge shad and a smallmouth. Missed numerous hits. We were glad to get out when the last keeper finally hit the net! Stayed a little longer than we planned, but the weather was cooler today so it made it harder to leave!

Name:  IMG_0108.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  56.5 KB

Supper, on the grill! We had this friday night and it was soo good we did the same again tonight!

(After I ate the first piece!)

Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  98.3 KB
    Likes Greenedog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Went out after work friday morning, Didnt get on the water until around 8:15am. Got stopped by DNR right before we left Garr hill cove, random checks I guess. Started fishing at the flats right outside Garr hill, and had slow but pretty steady action- so we stayed in the same place all morning. Wound up limiting out by about lunchtime, which was good because I was exhausted after a 12hr night of work and simmering in the heat all morning! All fish were smaller, but out of 10 caught only 1 was too short to keep, not too shabby. Had a couple others species, smallmouth, whitebass.

Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  63.5 KB

Wife was hoping to catch something bigger I think, and was excited to return. She wanted to go again (actually wanted to go that night for catfish, but I needed sleep in a bad way!) We decided to fight the crowds and go early Sat morning.

We got a good start and hit the water at 6:30am. No DNR this time! We went straight to the same flat, and saw 16 boats huddled in a pile. The "hotspot" we got good bites around yesterday was away from the other boats, and it quickly proved to still be working, so we had fairly open water to fish in at first. We had 4 keepers before 8am, and had planned on keeping only enough for supper. The bite was decent, so it was hard to leave. We picked up 2 more fish before finally deciding to try something new.

We hit a new spot off the beach, spent some time searching.. Was about ready to give up and move on as we weren't sure if it was the "right" spot we were told about, when I hooked a good 19"er. Wife soon had one she lost at the boat that looked similar. Then a pontoon full of kids blasted in 100ft from us, stopping right on the edge of the tiny point we were trolling. Long story short, they goofed around, then powered away and I'm guessing ruined it for us. No other fish here. We hit Egypt hollow flats, which noone was really fishing at this point. We picked up 2 fish quickly, but had nothing else but bites.

We stopped back at Garr hill flats before leaving, now focused on filling our limit. We spent another hour or so, getting blasted by huge boat wake, before we finally landed 2 more keepers. We caught several short fish here again, as well as a huge shad and a smallmouth. Missed numerous hits. We were glad to get out when the last keeper finally hit the net! Stayed a little longer than we planned, but the weather was cooler today so it made it harder to leave!

Name:  IMG_0108.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  56.5 KB

Supper, on the grill! We had this friday night and it was soo good we did the same again tonight!

(After I ate the first piece!)

Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  98.3 KB
    ok, I love how the pic looks - so what is your recipe and instructions for such sir!
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, and nice catch. Did you catch them pulling night crawler rigs or crankbaits? My second favorite fish to chase.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Used simple roundhead jigs for these.

The grilling is easy, found the idea on youtube.

Sheet of foil, wipe with butter. lay thinner cut potatoes down, followed by other veggies of your choice. I used Red potatoes, sweet peppers, Zucchini, white onions. Layed the fillets on top of everything, and seasoned again. One side was seasoned more heavily, other side was for wife/kid. ( Used Lawrys seasoned salt, Lemon & pepper seasoning, Dill, and a bit of lemon juice. ) Cut pads of butter and placed on top of the fish.

I didnt cover with foil. Tried about 350 for 20 mins the first time, and it was great. Grilled at 400 for about 15-20 minutes the next night, looking for some crisp on potatoes, still tasty, but I think it dried the fish a tiny bit. Maybe just slightly over cooked.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome fish and great report.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Binfordw, just a quick question, the limit is 6 a piece right? As I am reading the fishing regs right now.

Post Thanks / Like

6 and 14"

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes cevans LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hah, your right. Where did I get 5 from I wonder Guess thats what I get for relying on my memory.

Well 5 a piece was plenty anyway, atleast I had the 14" right!
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Better to be safe than sorry and DNR is on Brookville constantly as one officer lives there and takes others in DNR walleye fishing even. And they are dressed in their civialian clothing when fishing. And in unmarked boats they own. Just a FYI.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recipe sir ... and yes, I've heard they are sometimes are out of uniform.

The ones I've had the privilege to meet with this year have been more than fair with me.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast