Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pinched transducer cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pinched transducer cable

Somehow the transducer cable on my Elite 7 got pinched on the trolling motor guide. All functions seem to be working except water temperature, which is flashing 32.0. Has anyone had any luck splicing a transducer cable?
    Real Hero's don't wear Capes....They wear Dog Tags

Post Thanks / Like

Have not tried it but can give you info on doing it...You will need a few supplies.Soldering iron,solder,heat shrink tubing(a few sizes),a heat gun,and a bottle of liquid paint-on electrical tape.
    Cut the cable in two at damaged spot.
    Strip back 3" of the outer insulation from both sides of cable.Use sharp utility knife or straight razor blade.
    Strip 3/8" from each conductor on each side.Twist conductor ends leaving them straight.
    Use soldering iron and solder to tin ends of conductors on both sides.
    Install 6" heat shrink over cable and slide out of way.Install a 3/4" piece of shrink over a conductor and slide as far as possible.
    Use iron under both ends of same conductor and solder together side by side/end to end(Parallel each other).Slide down shrink and shrink with gun.
    Do the same on the rest of conductors.
    Slide outer shrink over splice.Use gun to shrink.
    Seal with several coats of liquid tape.

Likely this will work but your only snag would be a possible loss of shielding for noise suppression.That would either be a braid or foil under outer insulation.

I am willing to aid you in any way.Let me know
    Last edited by Snagged again; 06-17-2017 at 07:02 AM.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterproofing is the most important step in splicing any xducer cable (especially if the splice is below the water line) ...

Any moisture intrusion into the splice can potentially short out a wire channel and fry a transmitter in the head unit ...

Replacing the xducer is cheaper than replacing the xducer and head unit ...

Each have to make their own decision if saving a few extra bucks on a cable splice is worth the risk ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes chaunc, Slabprowler LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There is this option for splicing above the water line that doesn't require soldering skills ...

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo.../17-037-01.pdf

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Over 3 years ago I bought my graphs / transducers from a friend.He had somehow nicked the outer insulation on one transducer cable below waterline.I used 6-8 coats of the liquid tape on it and it's still working just fine.....I offered solder/splice instructions for information.It is not hard nor takes any special skills...Use the information or don't,it makes no difference to me...

Post Thanks / Like

I had an experience with this on the water back around '73 or '74 when I cut the ducer wire on my Lowrance Little Green Box (Fish Lo-K-Tor). A Ray Jefferson field rep saw my problem and told me what to do. The above posts cover his recs. Only difference being that black electrical tape was what was available for repairs. Did best job I could with splitting and splicing each wire, and making sure to re-splice the shielding also. Critical point. Glad he noticed that. Wrapped it all up and it was still in service several years later when I gave it to a young man that had nothing and I went to an HB Super Sixty. No doubt things are more complicated today, but I'm sure if you follow the advice given, yours will continue to work too.
    Likes Snagged again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys. I kept my fingers crossed, and spent about half the day making the splice. On a 'dry' run everything seems to be working. Temp was showing 93 degrees(man it was hot out there) We'll see how it performs when I hit the water.
    Real Hero's don't wear Capes....They wear Dog Tags