HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monroe today!

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monroe today!

Went to Monroe today and got on the lake at 6 am. Decided to just experiment and play around today. Fished for walleye with bottom bouncers weights, spinners and night crawlers for about 3 hrs and caught 3. Was fishing Moore's Creek area for a while then ran to Fairfax and across from it the Hole in the Wall area. That long point is full of hand size blue gills as I caught quite a few in 12-15' of water. Then switched to trolling crankbaits for the next few hours. Trolled a lot of different crankbaits. Wally divers, shad raps, rebels, bagleys, mud bugs, bandits, and rapalas of diff. Sizes and colors, and experimented with using drop shot weights, in line weights, 3 way swivel and different size weights as well as long lining. I got into a school of 2-3lb hybrid bass catching 5. Caught tons of pesky yellow bass and small crappie. Caught half dozen lg mouths to 2 lbs. Found a really nice school of crappie in 19' of water along a bank of large rock next to secondary Creek channel off main Salt Creek channel catching 5 befor moving on. All 5 were 11" or larger with the largest just touching the 15" mark. Even caught 4 channel cats to couple of pounds on cranks and night crawlers while working for the walleyes. Did I say Monroe still has a 15" crappie? Yeppers as all fish,caught today were released. Trolling speeds increased to as fast as 2.3 mph with the average speed being 2.0 with the different crankbaits. Had to quit playing at 1 pm as the storms were building and the weather bug showed red and orange cells as lighting about 20 miles away heading my way so beat it back to the launch and called it a day. You can fish the main lake a variety of ways catching quite the variety of fish and good sizes to match. Water temp srarted out at 78 and hit 82. Wind was light. Nice wave action. Water was nice blue green color. Little to no boat traffic also today. Fished 5' to 25' of water.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Bouncer, Roy49, raporter, Greenedog LIKED above post
    Thanks funfishers thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, I always enjoy reading yours. I hope that one day I'll have such a fishing day, I'll happily file a report.
    Please keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, I haven't got out much. Too much heat for me. Although I'm heading to Erie Monday to get some of my own walleye.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Locator79, enjoy Erie. I used to have a 26' cuddly cabin Mark Twain set up for Great Lakes fishing as I hit all the Great Lakes chasing salmon and walleyes quite a few years ago. Love that fisherie when it was hot and stocked with big king salmon back then. I have a big umbrella I'm using that cuts the heat and sun. Going to hit the crappie at 6am Friday if it's not storming. Good luck on the walleye on Erie.

Post Thanks / Like

nice report as always..we will be there next weekend for the indiana slabmasters tournament..cant wait i luv monroe has some hawg crappie..in the right spots

Post Thanks / Like

The great lakes are a whole new world, I love Erie and Michigan. It's feast or famine sometimes, but it's still great little getaway. I'd move up that way if I didn't hate the cold.

HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    The great lakes are a whole new world, I love Erie and Michigan. It's feast or famine sometimes, but it's still great little getaway. I'd move up that way if I didn't hate the cold.

I used to make 10-15 trips a year chasing fish all over the Great Lakes. Boat took 66 gallons of gas and ford 460 gas engine dullie took 50 gallons back then, but gas was 1.50 to 1.65 a gal., motels cheap as well as restaurants and the salmon was plentiful as all the states stocked heck out of them same for the eyes. Caught tons of 35lb kings and had the Mich state record for brown trout for 6 months at 20.5 lbs. Now it would cost a lot more to run back and forth and most states cut heck out of stockings as the fish ate up all the forage base. Disease hit the stockings a couple of years, lamprey and the zebra mussel is a pain as well. Ontario, CA never did much stockings and they let the Native Indian tribes as well as our states, net the fish also. It was great in its hot years and glad I was part of it. There is still awesome fishing in all of the Great Lakes today. Good luck fishing and hope you have great weather.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this report! I am on vacation this week and was going to camp at paynetown and try some night stalking here for the first time but my wife was afraid for me and talked me into staying close. I don't like raccoon lake much and will be trying my luck there tonight. It's only 15 miles away. I'll report my results when I'm done. Fish on!

Post Thanks / Like

monroe has trophy crappie..good luck on night stalking

Post Thanks / Like

There will be a FLW bass tourney tomorrow as the lake was full of bass boats running recklessly around today. There is awesome blue gill fishing in the long point at Hole in the Wall area and on,the Fairfax Point in front of the swimming beach. Fish about 10-16' deep water and in front of the weed beds. Hand size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast