Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conservation and giving back.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Conservation and giving back.

There is a thread entitled "people fishing your structure" in the Crappie Structure forum that I contributed to recently. The thread refers to structure placed in the water to attract and hold fish. Condo's they call them,Like it's a resort where the fish can vacation. In reality it's a spot that will attract fish, so that one can easily find them. It does provide habitat for the fish and that is a good thing. Whats missing as I read all these posts is any sense of conservation.i love to fish ,I'm probably not a very good fisherman because I seldom come home with more than 10. An old friend,long deceased, was an excellent fisherman and would fish 3 or 4 times per week. He would catch 3 or 4 fish,just enough for a meal for he and his wife,and then call it a night.
    I would like for you to read the response I submitted to this thread And the response I got from my son,who lives in a neighboring state.
    Response to thread:
    Children,
    I can't believe what I'm reading here. Years back when I lived in another area,we had a fishing club and every year at the clubs expense,we would acquire thousands of walleye eggs and hatch them,nurture them and when they became fingerling size,release them into lake Erie. Some of those fish were probably caught by Canadian fishermen. Our fish !! Can you imagine that. We went to all that trouble and expense,and someone else caught and ate the fish. We probably should have declared war on Canada,New York and Ohio. Does any of this ring a bell? The water is not yours or mine,neither are the fish,until you catch them. The cover you sank ( often times illegally) ceased to belong to you when you threw it overboard. And as far as guides go ,these people know darn well that you will visit those spots with your own boat. You only hired the guide because it was an unfamiliar area that you wanted to check out. Perhaps he should have brainwashed you or giver you electroshock therapy when you got off his boat,thereby making you forget where you were,then he could keep all the fish to himself.
    I know full well that a good many of you will take exception to what I say here today,but take a moment,stand back,look in the mirror,and reflect on how foolish this is.
    E mail from my son:
    "Before you sent me the crappie link (about the argument on beds and docks) I had been reading it prior to your contributions. In the past I have seen pictures of these homemade beds. These people should realize how lucky they are that not only do they have time to go fishing a lot but to pour this much time into their hobby. A couple of months back I xrayed a guy who fishes lake Jordan. I asked him about Buggs, said he fished it but Jordan was better. He told me he went camping there for 3 days with his wife and son and brought back 900 crappie. When I applied for my boat registration the guy told me about someone he knew who got 400 in one day out of Wylie. He said the guy would not even tell him where it was. I say let them keep arguing because if the wardens can't catch them then maybe the stupid jerks will kill each other. "
    The point I'm trying to make here is,I read too much of how we caught 100 today or we got the limit and then when back out and did it again. Seems to me we have an awful lot of very greedy and selfish people here. My posts generally are not greeted with a whole lot of enthusiasm and some are deleted by the censors(I think you call them moderators) but This is what I have observed reading these posts every night and this is something that I felt needed saying.
    Last edited by pescatore; 03-06-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen, brother. Sounds like greed. It's fun to catch'em, but i hate to clean'em, so I throw'em back so they can be caught another day. Keeping numbers just shows me how un-educated un-appreciative some folks are.

Post Thanks / Like

It is just plain greedy to catch and keep numbers of fish like that but i think you're way out of line when you start calling folks here on crappie.com greedy and selfish,i've been around here for over 2 years and i cant recall ever seeing a post that said anything like that,these folks are here because we love to crappie fish not fill a freezer....you might want to rethink your post.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default opinion

Re thought it. Stand by it. Maybe we dont read the same posts. I'm extra sure there are a multitude of fine people here,but I never read much about conservation.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pescatore .....

Quote Originally Posted by pescatore
    Re thought it. Stand by it. Maybe we dont read the same posts. I'm extra sure there are a multitude of fine people here,but I never read much about conservation.
    While it may be true that some people say they catch 100, 200, or more Crappie in a day ... does that necessarily mean they "keep" that many ?? Are we even sure that they, in fact, "caught" that many ??
    I don't know how many times I've guesstimated how many fish I've caught (or even kept) in a days trip ... and most of the time, I'm thinking of a number that's well past what the actual take was.
    It could also be a case of having a lake that has no limit - size or numbers.

In any event, there are some "greedy" people out there ... and it's up to the rest of us to try and help them mend their ways. Calling them out probably won't do it ... turning them in is a possible deterent, since what they're doing (if illegally keeping more than the limit) is "poaching" - not "sport fishing". Problem there, though, is you'd have to actually be there and see them doing the deed. He said, she said - third party rumor - boasting/bragging - creative accounting .... doesn't prove a thing to the Warden, or the Judge.

Conservation is more than just a "numbers" game. Conservation is also - putting out habitat, taking home more trash/refuse than you took to the lake, paying for your license to fish, supporting organizations that promote your sport, and teaching the new up-and-coming generation that a fishing trip isn't always about how many fish you caught

Crappie.com has well over 7000 registered users ... find me another organization of that size, that doesn't have its share of "greedy" people, rule benders & breakers, or even the occasional overcompetitive/creative truth stretcher. We're not a perfect bunch, but we do have a greater percentage of "sportsmen/women" members who are concerned with all aspects of the sport, and conservation minded.

....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm practicing conservation just by getting on the lake... I take space away from someone who might actually catch fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you bugman!
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    While it may be true that some people say they catch 100, 200, or more Crappie in a day ... does that necessarily mean they "keep" that many ?? Are we even sure that they, in fact, "caught" that many ??
    I don't know how many times I've guesstimated how many fish I've caught (or even kept) in a days trip ... and most of the time, I'm thinking of a number that's well past what the actual take was.
    It could also be a case of having a lake that has no limit - size or numbers.

In any event, there are some "greedy" people out there ... and it's up to the rest of us to try and help them mend their ways. Calling them out probably won't do it ... turning them in is a possible deterent, since what they're doing (if illegally keeping more than the limit) is "poaching" - not "sport fishing". Problem there, though, is you'd have to actually be there and see them doing the deed. He said, she said - third party rumor - boasting/bragging - creative accounting .... doesn't prove a thing to the Warden, or the Judge.

Conservation is more than just a "numbers" game. Conservation is also - putting out habitat, taking home more trash/refuse than you took to the lake, paying for your license to fish, supporting organizations that promote your sport, and teaching the new up-and-coming generation that a fishing trip isn't always about how many fish you caught

Crappie.com has well over 7000 registered users ... find me another organization of that size, that doesn't have its share of "greedy" people, rule benders & breakers, or even the occasional overcompetitive/creative truth stretcher. We're not a perfect bunch, but we do have a greater percentage of "sportsmen/women" members who are concerned with all aspects of the sport, and conservation minded.

....... cp
    Pappy,
    You make more sense than anyone. you always do. Need more like you.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that too many people catch and keep more than they should. But there are others and I am sure the majority of the posters on this board that catch many times the number that they keep!
    There are definitely those that 'freezer' fish, mainly in the fall to fill their freezers for the winter.
    36 years this week my wife and I honeymooned on Lake Taneycomo, yes we had a little time for fishing, but it was trout! :o Every morning there would be this couple from Illinois on the dock. (most trout were caught from the dock using a Lindy rig: crappie hook with a baby marshmellow to float half a crawler and a sliding weight (size depending on the current) In those days, you could sometimes catch your limit in less 30 minutes. Well, this couple would get up before light, get their spot, get their lines in the water (allowed 2 each), catch their 1st limit, he would clean them, she would take them to their cottage and probably in the freezer. The resort also offered to freeze your fish until you left at the end of your stay. This would go on all day every day for a week. He later told me that they averaged 3 large coolers of trout to take home every year that they had been coming down there. I am sure this is the exception rather than the rule, but it does happen!
    I estimate that I keep 1 fish for every 30 or 40 that I catch. One reason is that between the middle of March and the middle of December we can just go down to the dock and catch fresh crappie when we want to eat some instead of keeping a supply on hand..unless planning a fishfry, when friends or family come over or giving some to friends that have had to move off of the water.
    Some days I go out and fish for catfish or crappie, sometimes bring them back, take pictures and release them at our dock...Just love to fish. My wife thinks that any fish larger than 5 pounds has a personality and all they want to do is swim in the lake or make little fish!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if you mean conservation or moderation from the sound of your post, but I'll say one thing about it. This site overall has the best people on it I've encountered as a group in over 12 yrs of being online and participating in communities on it. If you want to, your always going to be able to find a sourpuss in a group of good people and then say something negative about it. Crappie.com is not a bushel of apples where a few rotten apples ruin the whole thing. They could if we let them, but the pests get squashed before they do very much damage. A word to the wise....
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast