Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Install Issues

Angry is the only sane word that comes to mind about this!
    This is what a $450 install ($2300.00 total) job gets you from a local well known shop in KY. Here we have a Helix 10di G2N, 999si and gps puck installed on a single circuit with a 5 amp fuse.....No wonder everything kept tripping out and shutting down!!

When I dropped the boat off to have everything installed I plainly asked for everything to have it's own circuit on 10 gauge wire. Asked for a 2d transducer with a "Y" cable to be installed (on a mounting board supplied by me) and have the mega ducer installed high on the transom to avoid damage from hitting stumps or other debris, NEITHER was done. No 2d and mega was mounted flush. Asked that all units be updated to the most current software version to which they were NOT. Two trips 2.5 hours one way and this is what I find after not being able to use my electronics and receiving no help from the shop, MULTIPLE phone calls and leaving messages with employees to have someone return my call. They are either "busy and will call just as soon as they finish" or "out of the shop"......yeah right!!

I normally wouldn't do something like this but feel its deserved to hopefully save someone else the grief. I would love to hear your opinions on the work that ....... has done for me?
    Would you be happy with these results?

Sorry for the rant but I am tired of calling and leaving messages to no avail....
    Last edited by Slab; 06-08-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: leave names out please
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you used a credit card to pay, contact credit card co, file a dispute with them. They can pull back funds until the dispute is settled. I bet your calls would get returned then. If not I would contact the owner however hard that might be. If that didn't work I'd find out if they have a Facebook page and if they do I'd wear them out until I got money back or work done right.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Billbob, tink2432, ShowmeCrappie, NIMROD LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Install Issues

I would want my money back at the least.
    They didn't do, what you the customer wanted done.
    Cray has given you some good advice above.
    Stay on them til they get it resolved.
    Sorry that happened to you.
    Last edited by Redge; 06-08-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes Billbob, ShowmeCrappie, kycreek LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went thru basically the same thing with a leaking gas tank sending unit. Cost me almost $800.00 to get a sending unit replaced and wound up doing it myself to get it to stop leaking. There is not any customer service in a lot of shops nowadays.
    Likes Redge, ShowmeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like kousin kletus done dat
    Likes ShowmeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks. And at this point, you probably don't want them working on your rig. If thats the knowledge they have, you definitely don't want them bricking your units trying to update them.

Very, very, very few people do the job right anymore. Anything I can do myself, I allot time to do it...myself.
    Likes Redge, ShowmeCrappie, scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Update!

Well I found their Facebook page and got on their website, posted a review that the owner was not happy about and prompted a phone call first thing this morning FINALLY.......
    Naturally I got the "we're so busy blah blah and the fella who worked on your things was weekend help" but he did apologize and offer to fix the things that were not right. I thanked him but said the things have already been fixed, I just wanted to make him aware (being the owner) of how some things were leaving his shop.
    The most important thing I wanted to get across to him was for him and his crew to not shake a man's hand after receiving the money and tell them any problems or questions just call we will be glad to help and THEN NOT ANSWER THE PHONE OR RETURN A CALL....
    I feel I got my point across and in the end he understood and apologized some more and is refunding my money for the install.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job hanging in there you may have saved someone else a similar experience.
    Likes ShowmeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that a lot of these shops do not understand how to properly rig a boat. In many instances, they don't even own a boat themselves. They are not sure how to install a trolling motor in the proper locations, where to put a transducer, what to avoid, and so on. You might be dealing with someone that considers themselves "mechanically inclined" however, just because you know what a #2 phillips head is doesn't mean you know what the proper location of a transducer is, where to install it, ribs to avoid, and what wiring gauge to run. The majority of them don't own these products so asking them to install software would be the same as going to the old folks home and asking someone with Dimentia who has never owned or operated a computer to do it.

I've seen installs with wood screws, stove bolts, and other non stainless installation implements. Wires spliced in to other wires by stripping the exterior coating in the middle of a wire, tying the new wire in, and taping it together. I've done no less than 8 installs on boats in the last two years. Some of them done after installation shops got their hands on the boats. What a mess. No stainless hardware, no usage of marine grade adhesives or caulking compounds, bare wiring connections, household wiring screw caps, lack of waterproofing, the list goes on and on and on.

Sorry you found one of those companies.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BBB will help too. Use BBB as a warning along with what Cray said. Keep your "cool" and be methodical when conversing with the business. Bad words gets bad responses.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast