HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nanofil hi-vis

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nanofil hi-vis

Hi guys & girls ! I have been using Hi- Vis Stren for many years . 2,4, & 6 lb. yellow. I want to try the Nanofil Hi-Vis yellow in 2lb. or 4lb. for casting small jigs. Before i purchase some, I would like some imput from you people that use it. Thanks, Don.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only tell you from my own experience. The #2 & #4 Nanofil is almost impossible to tie a knot into, without it failing. I spent the better part of the 2014/2015 season trying my best to use both 2# & 4# tests on several of my panfish rods. Can't tell you how many jigs I've lost due to knot failure. And I've been tying knots for over 50 years. I tried using fluorocarbon and monofilament leaders, using the Alberto knot and/or Uni-Uni knot. They all broke on a crappie hitting my jigs. Tried tying it direct with a Palomar & Trilene knot. They all broke on a crappie hitting my jigs. Sound repetitive?

I do hope you have a better experience with Nanofil than I have had, but I seriously doubt that you will. All my rigs are now filled with Fireline Crystal 2# test main lines with a 4# test fluorocarbon leader. Last season, none of my knots failed. I have great casting ability with this line and the sensitivity has to be felt to be appreciated. I use the fluoro leaders mainly for abrasion resistance and as a shock absorber. It works for me.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using it(6#) on a couple of jigging rods with a fluorocarbon leader joined by a uni to uni knot for several weeks now as well as a couple of casting setups. Absolutely no complaints, haven't had any knot failure. I have almost wore the paint off one jighead on one of the jigging rods, caught several limits of fish along with some bass and catfish as well by accident. I don't know maybe it is a problem unique to the 2# and 4#. I am using 6# Nanofil to 6# Seagar fluorocarbon and try to make at least 6 wraps on each Uni knot.

Have read several complaints about it though so must be something there, just haven't had trouble myself. I have a spool of the 4# I guess I need to try and see if I have trouble with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion
    Likes skeetbum, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Do a forum search and you will find all the info one would want to read.

Regards
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Nanofil on my spinning rods. Knots tied directly to lures fail badly, but with a leader tied with a double uni, I've had good luck. Casts well and is strong and durable.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 and 4lb Nano and I'm liking it, but it comes with baggage. It has no memory, casts like nothing I've ever used, has no stretch, but also has absolutely no abrasion resistance. Hook a fish deep and the line go across its teeth when tight and say goodbye to that fish, I use a 4lb clear Stren leader and those problems went away. I've caught 3 1/2 lb cats and 3lb LMB on the 2lb, and haven't been using it very long, but I'm convinced that I'll use it for a long time to come.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge, Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've use it on one rod for 3 years with no problems. If your read on the box you can only tie a double Palomar knot or it will cut it's self into. You need to re-tie ever so often because it is so strong it will cut into it's self. It is very sensitive and as someone as already mentioned is has no stretch so back you drag off. It is more expensive but last a lot longer than other lines. Just give it a try and see for you self.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i have very good results with the 6lb but as others have said the 2 and 4lb is hard to deal with. it is literally like trying to tie a knot with a piece of spider web but i have no issues with the 6lb. my line of choice though is 2# and 4# stren magnathin.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll love nan o fil once you adjust to it. As mentioned; standard knots are problematic. As Rockmike said; use a leader. The uni to uni works great. Just pull it tight slowly. If you just have to tie diectly to the jig, use a double polamar and make sure the line doesn't cross in the hook eye or it will cut itself.
    Another adjustment you'll have to make is with your hookset. Regular snap sets will most likely result in a lost fish due to hook rip out. Learn to
    just sweep your rod up and keep reeling.
    Been using nan o fil since it first came out. Love the stuff. Just don't wrap it around your hand to pull a snagged lure free. It will cut like a sharp knife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We live in the fly fishing capital of the world.nanofill is like fly line.floats ,no stretch ect.start out with tying a knot in the tag end of your line after running through your line tye,jig eye,crankbait eye ECT twist 8 times run back through loop in line,important wet line before pulling tite.we use it for all our fishing like the clear mist.like it the best.have used the high vis.like the clear mist the best.the clear mist looks white on top of the water.disappears in the water.hope this helps.not trying to sell.good fishing.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast