HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inconsiderate boat operators--how should they be dealt with?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inconsiderate boat operators--how should they be dealt with?

I'm not talking about the folks who rush to beat you to the ramp only to park right in the middle of the 2 lane ramp while they decide what sandwich meat they want on their sandwiches while all the rest of us have to wait.

I'm talking about the glitter boats who think every square inch of lake bottom belongs to them and everybody else can pound sand. The last 2 weekends, while guiding clients, we have had bass boats run past us at HIGH SPEED, no more than 50 feet from us, one no more than 20 feet. The 20 footer cut across my bow last weekend going at least 70mph. We actually thought he was going to hit us as we trolled at less than 2 mph. We were fishing a ledge at least 300 yards off the shore with at least 3/4 mile of open water on the other side. I'm sure they guy was eager to show off his $80,000 Ranger but we would have much more enjoyed seeing it that close in the parking lot at the ramp. My clients were horrified. I take having clients or guests in my boat as serious business and will do everything possible to see that they are safe in my boat but in the cases the past 2 weekends, I about had come-aparts. One client yesterday said that is the exact reason he carries a pistol in his boat. Luckily, I left mine in the truck even though I wouldn't have had time to get it out of its safe place in the boat. I've had a pistol pulled on me on KY Lake years ago for zero reason and didn't like the way I felt about it.

The guy in the Ranger yesterday flipped me the bird as he went by as I was motioning for him to move over by pushing air with both hands. I guess the middle finger salute would have been just as effective.

I fish a lot of main lake and secondary channel areas and expect boat traffic as just a cost of doing business there. Waves big enough to wash over my bow are a common occurrence from cruisers and houseboats. I also have zero issue with somebody coming by me at high speed as long as they give me a measure of courtesy and some space. KY Lake is about 1 mile wide at most points. Why is it so hard to steer a course that gives another boater the feeling they will live to fish another day?

In cases like I noted, I had zero time to get pics of the boat numbers. Neither were wrapped decal boats. I don't want to be known as a trouble maker or crybaby. I just want to be able to enjoy a day on the water with or without clients without having some idiot take years off my life with his idiotic boat manners.

Anybody else have any ideas?
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Thanks Crestliner08, BigDawgg thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go-Pro camera ??

Interesting read : Boat Wake Damage Liability - Seaworthy Magazine - BoatUS
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, mrdux we all have to deal with these inconsiderate idiots on the water. As for what to do about it, is another question. I can't help to believe that it all has to do with how these individuals were raised. I was taught at an early age by my father to respect the fisherman that were fishing while you were under power. People could possibly be cited if registration nos. were reported, but there is always the "where's the proof" factor.
    Last edited by armyman; 06-04-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown
    Likes Ttexastom, blueball, captcall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We fished a little here yesterday morning before it got crowded. Definitely have to watch other's this time of year. Watched a tube being pulled way back in cedar creek that I know is full of trees with 2 kids on it. Had a guy on a wave runner out in front of the boat ramp slinging circles just to see if he could throw a passenger off. C'Mon man. About 50 to 100 yards from a crowded dock might I add. If memory serves me correctly we have a 100 yard regulation from another vessel.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the same idiots that can't drive a car without yaking on a cell phone. It sure is a "me" world. I can be having the best day of my life until I take a drive to town and have to dodge all the nuckle heads driving distracted. Sure wish they would outlaw cell phones while driving.
    Likes Ttexastom, slackline, jordanjones, captcall LIKED above post
    Thanks ibmack thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Until 3 years ago I fished from a 14/36 flat bottom and had to deal with these inconsiderate people. They would come with in 50' of my little boat at 50 to 70 mph and almost swamp my boat. The bigger the HP the bigger the idiot. It used to be just the bass fishermen but as the crappie fishermen are getting bigger boats now, they are part of the problem too.
    Likes Jiggah LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 60,grew-up huntin and fishin ,and can vividly remember a time whenever your boat was stopped on the water any boat coming by would slow down and give you a wide berth.Others did it for you and you did it for them.Who here is old enough to remember what common courtesy was like on the water(or highway) years ago?
    Not anymore ,some go out of their way to come close apparently to see if they recognize you or to see what you are doing.The only way I deal with this is to tell myself that I'm glad they are only the ignorant minority. I will not let them degrade my day, in any way, because of their shortcomings.
    There are people not responsible enough to drive on the highway or the water.Unfortunately enforcement is lacking in both locations.
    Coming home from fishing Mississippi my cruze was set on 70 and in the rear view mirror I notice a car rapidly gaining om me.When she went by the car was a blur.I dialed *55 (Mo Hwy Patrol) and gave my location and what had happened.Quite awhile later I figured they did not get her. Several more miles the two troopers and the white Toyota was on the shoulder.She could have killed a family or had a blowout and had a wreck herself.
    I don't know the answer to this problem on the water MRDUX unless it would be more enforcement.Carry binoculars and have them trained on registration numbers when the clown goes by.Possibly identifying the problem to authorities would give us some answers.

I'll go to the grave believing the vast majority of people are considerate ,safe, and responsible.
    Likes Will_P, gravelman6, elkhunter, captcall LIKED above post
    Thanks Ttexastom thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Doug. I think everyone on this forum can relate. It doesn't matter if your driving to town, boating with the family, fishing or walking through Walmart. These type of people are becoming more numerous or I am becoming less tolerant as I get older.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be professional, do the best you can to keep your clients safe, and set the proper example. Especially with clients in the boat. I realize, easier said than done. If you react inappropriately, you are no better than them. Too many crazy people out there to risk escalating. Unfortunate, but there will always be inconsiderate, disrespectful boaters. Good news is the faster they go by, the faster they are gone...usually.

Several months ago, I was on a local creek near a bank fisherman on a narrow shelf (bank) near the water. Had one of those fancy weekend warriors fly by and nearly washed away all the bank fisherman's gear. I trolled over and gave him the fish I had caught so far.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes skeetbum, Red190, Redge, "D", kycreek, elkhunter, Jiggah LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Had a bass boat buzz me something n the kayak the other day. Close enough I could have swatted the passenger with the rod tip. Kept looking back, I guess to see if they had swamped me. No dice that time. It happens all to often. To little enforcement on the water to stop them.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks Ttexastom thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast