Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat fuel system problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Boat fuel system problem?

Hey guys,just got a question about my boat..last time I took it out my primer bulb started going flat again. So I'm going or have started with simple stuff 1- got 2 new 6 gal. tanks 2-picking up a new gas line and tank connectors wednesday. Now I added a in-line fuel filter back in october and I declare that is when I started having problems. I did notice that the connector at the tank doesn't fit or stay snug on male connection on both of the tanks. you can slide it back and forth.after I replace what I can and none of this fixes the problem where do I go from here? Thanks in advance and GOD Bless everyone and have a safe and joyous fishing season....Russ
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

is the bulb "sucking" flat or is it "going" soft? sucking flat means the tank aint venting..or fitting on tank side is bad...going flat means your fuel pump is going out
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

gets soft,now I had it hooked up to a metal tank which is history now and that had no manual vent cap! Got 2 new vented plastic tanks now. Fuel line is hard also not too flexible going to replace tommorow.So if it is getting soft was that the tank or fitting at tank? or both...Thanks
    Last edited by Jig'r; 03-06-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would bet that the new gas line and connectors will fix your problem. They should stay on snuggly and not slide back and forth. Also check your in-line filter to be sure its not clogged and on properly. There should be an arrow on it showing direction of flow. BTW, its normal for the bulb to get soft while the motor is running but should not go flat.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a vent problem or a bad bulb.

did notice that the connector at the tank doesn't fit or stay snug on male connection on both of the tanks
    I went to the Tohatsu/Nissan fitting on my tanks. They are something like an air quick coupling, never had any trouble with them.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

New line and connectors for sure. The bulb is a one-way valve. The circuit so to speak is the tube in the tank, the tank valve, the fuel line and bulb and the motor connector. Any defects in these will not keep the proper vacuum in the line. You said you're replacing all this and I get you're going to solve your problem. This was happening to me and it was the motor connector on the fuel line (or maybe the water in the gas tank making the motor cut out on me, lol). Either way, got both of them fixed.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]