Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any big guys own a Tracker Panfish 16 and can give a little advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any big guys own a Tracker Panfish 16 and can give a little advice?

I'm looking at getting a smaller boat as I already own a Tracker Grizzly 1860 center console and it's too big for smaller lakes. I am leaning towards the Panfish 16 with the Mercury 25 elpt motor.

Problem is I'm a big guy and having some hesitation about the panfish. I'm very comfortable with the Tracker 1860 even with another big friend of mine. That boat is so big it's super stable and I could jump up and down in it without it hardly moving. I just hate using it in a smaller lake because it's a pain to launch and trailer by myself or even with my wife as she helps but she can't back straight and she's too small to manhandle the big boat.

I hate to tell on myself as far as size but lets just say with ice chest, poles and gear I'm looking at putting 420 lbs in that panfish 16 lol. I know a lot of people love those boats and I'm sure there is a few people here that have fished out of one with a bigger friend? If you have experience in one, can you tell me how it handled? I am not looking for any real speed and I figure with the 25 hp motor it probably won't even get on plane with my big butt sitting in the front seat. The smaller lakes I'll be fishing have a lot of stumps and cypress trees so I don't need speed.

My main concern is just wiggling around in the boat and if it rocks a lot or feels unstable with someone of size in there? Like when you hook a catfish on a small rod and lean over the side to grab the fish and bring it in the boat. I don't wanna flip that thing over lol.

if you have real world experience in one of these, please advise me and thanks in advance

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am at 275, had a panfish and loved it. Stable is not a problem because you never have to move. I had a bigger motor and I liked that, but I went to lakes as well as skinney water. Caught more fish out of it than any other boat I have ever owned. When my wife went with me I think that boat saved our marriage. I would consider a larger motor than 25. Sold it to my son-in-law so I could always borrow it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a Panfish but looked at them before making my purchase of a custom stick steer. The reason I did not buy the Panfish...and many other stick steer boats I looked at was bottom width. It is only 48 inches. I too am a big guy. I have a 40 HP on my boat and with two big guys in there....total of 680 pounds....I can hit 28 MPH. That 25 is not going to do much at all. Go sit in it and move around....see if you feel cramped. if you do get it I think it would be very wise of you to get the 40 HP.

Regards

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Jon Boats. I am repeating myself again. Repeats are part of maturity. I ain't skinny. I have a 14ft Crappie Jon. It is well equipped with all the fishing gadgets. I added stick steer and a jack plate type trim and tilt (CMC35). My Jon had a 15hp Merc and will run 25-27 mph with me an my wife. If I were younger, I would use it more. Lifting the leg ain't what it use to be, but I still mark spots.

Stick steer is the way to go! I even have stick steer in my pondtoon.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new 2015 Panfish w 40hp. It was nice boat but after two years my wife and I decided it just wasn't big enough for us to be comfortable. I was 300 #s then, wife is not small, with gear, umbrellas and rest of junk it was to crowded for us. My size 10.5 feet would not fit between livewell and sides. Never really got used to the stick steering. Had lots of storage. I upgraded to Proteam 17.5 TF, a lot more room, this year, seems much better for us. We fish Enid in MS, seemed a little small there when waves pick up.