Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 37 Million Fine Against Garmin

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 37 Million Fine Against Garmin

Likes blueball, Hanr3 LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me Garmin is pretty good at using everybody else's technology and they aren't as good as they would like everybody to think they are. 2011 they buy Tri-Tronics dog collar company as Tri Tronics developed a dog collar in use with a gps that was cheaper than theirs and also Garmin didn't have a gps to work with their collar, then they buy Delorme because Delormes hand held gps has better software, but also Delorme also had a 2 way communications device via satellite that sends out a SOS anywhere in the world as well as let's you text also when your lost or in a emergency situation especially backpacking and mt. climbing. Delorme was a way earlier pioneer of gps technology using satellites over Garmin. And Garmin has been in numerous court battles over patent law suits with Garmin hiring 6-7 of Navico's engineers with on going court battles since 2011-2012 over patent inefringments of which they have lost every court battle with Navico. Can you say, alls fair in love and war?

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds almost like the battles between IBM, Microsoft, Apple, Xerox, and Compaq back in the day when I first started getting interested in IT. If memory serves, Compaq was the first to make an IBM "clone", by reverse engineering IBM's bios, which at the time was underhanded, but not illegal (yet). Microsoft and Apple both stole the idea of the mouse from Xerox when they both attended a Xerox demo of this thing with buttons, a wire, and a graphical user interface. Bill Gates bought Apple stock to keep Apple afloat so that Microsoft wouldn't have to fight off anti-trust charges from the feds. Etc... Same tactics as have been employed for decades in tech, just a different playing field. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ethics are a thing of the past when it comes to companies. Now its all about more money and how far can we bend or break the laws and still come out ahead after all the legalities.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Intregity can be sold cheap enough but is awful expensive to buy back.

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not over till the fat lady sings. Ruling is good for Garmin, but I bet navico isn't done.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

There really isn't anywhere left for Navico left to take it in the appeals process, there patent was ruled invalid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    It's not over till the fat lady sings. Ruling is good for Garmin, but I bet navico isn't done.
    fat lady sung all she could sing this is a done deal !!!! STICK A FORK IN IT, ITS DONE !!!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I ain't no Philadelphia lawyer so I won't pretend to know all the why fores and where fores. But, to me, the slickest thing that Navico did was take a technology that HB invented, aim it downward and get everybody else (exc Garmin) to pay them a royalty for using something that HB invented. Acknowledge that Navico paid HB for use of it. HB in particular needs to reassess their decision makers for ponying up to use something they invented years earlier. Navico didn't invent any of this, just changed the direction of application. But, like I said, I ain't no lawyer so I'm not sure what I've read....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast