Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping your guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping your guide.

I was wandering what might be a general rule of thumb for tipping a guide who has a rate of 225.00 per day. My friend has hired a guide for the first time coming up in April and he posed this question to me. I thought about it, and then decided I really dont know. I know we have some guides here and many of you have also fished with them, so how do you handle this so that everyone is happy. Do you just pay the 225.00 and thats it? Or do you tip more money based on the experience you had? I just dont know since Ive not had experience using a guide. If you do tip, how much? 10%?, 15%? Your opinions would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts would be the same as for anyone who goes the extra mile to achieve your satisfaction: "Give what you can and tell the guide your reason for tipping him or her" a tip is a gesture or reward with no standards. May God bless all our wonderful guides! :D
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

T o
    I nsure
    P rofessional
    S ervice

I tip people all the time. Waiters, the lady at Subway, cab drivers, door men, hair cut lady, deck hands, car cleanup people, actually the more I think about this I'm giving away all my money...But then again, it's only money...My life doesn't evolve around it. I tip because it makes me feel good to give them something extra when they did a good job.

I don't expect tips nor would I turn one down.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I know its not fishing, but I went on a black bear archery hunt in Canada in 1993. The guide we hired set us up in an area that he supposidly had "active" baits being hit regularly. After 2 days of hunting and not seeing anything bigger than a squirrell, I told the guide that if I harvested a bear, I would tip him a dollar a pound for anything over 200 pounds. He immediately set my hunting buddy and I up in totally different areas and yes, we both scored. I tipped him as promised but never went back.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on you and your guide! You aren't required to tip a guide, but if you want to, I doubt that they would object. I tip everyone that goes out of their way to make my experience an enjoyable one. Wither it be at a resturant or a guide. If a guide goes the extra mile to educate a person on the equipment and shows a different technic to catching the species that they are after then I would most diffenently tip him or her. I don't tip %, I give them what I feel I have experienced above the normal service and what it meant to me.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Very good question,
    I have been guiding since 1997 and have gotten tips when I did not expect them and did not get tips when I thought that I would. A guide does not depend on or expect a tip. However, They are greatly appriciated. And oddly enough, I get more tips on the days that we don't catch a lot of fish. And less tips on the days that we just wear them out. But people know if you are trying to put them on fish or if your just trying to get through the day. It's always good to have a good day of CATCHING, but the most important thing is to make sure every one has a good time weather your catching fish or not.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You are paying this person to put you on the fish and thats what most will do but out of experience some guides don't give a rats *** if you catch a fish or not...I had a terrible experience with a guide and never will I hire another one...This guy literally went to sleep while we sat in 2 ft. of mud trying to catch fish......He knows he made his house payment for the month why care about you.....You must want a fish pretty bad to pay out guide money....What a ripp off..........If you were put on the fish and had a great day of fishing don't feel obligated to tip the guide,,,,He just did what you payed him for................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Litebite
    You are paying this person to put you on the fish and thats what most will do but out of experience some guides don't give a rats *** if you catch a fish or not...I had a terrible experience with a guide and never will I hire another one...This guy literally went to sleep while we sat in 2 ft. of mud trying to catch fish......He knows he made his house payment for the month why care about you.....You must want a fish pretty bad to pay out guide money....What a ripp off..........If you were put on the fish and had a great day of fishing don't feel obligated to tip the guide,,,,He just did what you payed him for................
    I had to laugh reading your thread. My guide didn't go to sleep, he passed out. WE went to Lake Wolford in Ca. bass fishing when my son graduated from the Marine Corp Boot camp. I had this set up 2 months before we went. All I had to provide was a fishing license. He provided a lunch and drinks. I told him we didn't drink alcohol so just soft drinks would be fine. The day we went fishing he showed up with a case and a half of beer. He would cast the rods out for us and then hand them to us to reel in and then he would cast them out again. I told him that we could handle the equipment ok and would prefer to do it ourselves. After he found that we knew what we were doing he started drinking and drank the whole case and a half of beer and passed out in the bottom of the boat. We were on the lake all day without anything to drink. It was a good thing that You had to be off the lakes at a certain time in the evening. A Park Ranger came out and told us to get off the lake or we would be ticketed. I told him that we didn't know where the heck we were that the guide was passed out in the bottom of the boat. He gave me a heading where the dock was and said he had to check a couple of places and that he would show us the way into the dock on his way back in. I had caught a 9-3/4 lb Bass and my wife had caught a 6-3/4 lb Bass which we had in the livewell. I asked the ranger to take a picture of us with our fish and that we would then turn them loose back in the lake. The Ranger woke the guide up and the guide said he would take our picture with the fish. We released the fish back into the lake and the Ranger thanked us for releasing them. When we got home the roll of film that the guide took was all black. He evidently opened the back of the camera when he tried to take the picture.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Beaver...I wish you had some video of that rip...I mean trip...MAN...What a lush...Did you tip him? LOL...Better yet did you even pay him?

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only guide I've ever hired was for Salt Water. It was a day just absolutely built on memories. What a wonderful birthday, thanks to my loving husband. The guide was a super nice fella that enjoyed seeing us haul them in. He laughed with us as we laughed at each other. His "first mate" worked like a dog all day, keeping us baited and taking our fish off, icing them down and generally making it SO easy for us to enjoy.
    The cost if I remember right was something like $600.00 for the day. I tipped the first mate $50.00 and then paid him to filet the catch. I tipped the guide another 50.00 and recommended him to a bunch of folks later.

I didn't use a percentage, just gave what my heart felt and what I could afford at the time.

We have many guides on crappie.com that give freely of thier experience and advice. I wish I were as wealthy a person as I'd like to be and be able to tip each and every one of them, both the professional ones and the others.

Of course, first class on this board to me are Jerry and Darryl. Lord knows if I ever get to Arkansas, they'll have to raise thier fees just to get rid of me!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast