HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for trolling speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Options for trolling speeds

Looking to start trolling cranks out of my newer boat and looking for options to control my speed. Have a 20 ft seaark with a 140 Suzuki and with the motor in gear it goes about 2.5 to 2.6 mph on GPS. Wanting to be able to slow down to 1.5 to1.7 mph. I have a couple windsocks but was considering a trolling plate. Would appreciate some advice.
    Last edited by mkeller; 05-30-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Auto spell correction

Post Thanks / Like

It's all according to how big your budget is.
    Trim tabs would be the classiest yet most expensive.
    Trolling motor with cruise control would be most practical and easiest way. Set the cruise control to the desired speed, turn on auto pilot, now set out your cranks while the TM drives the boat for you.
    Get the NEW Minnkota Ulterra with IPILOT Link system, operate the TM by remote from anywhere in the boat.
    Tired of pulling cranks? Use the new "Spotlock" anchor feature to hold you right on a brush pile while you bobber fish or jig.
    Like I said, it's all according to your budget.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the xi5 motorguide wireless set up, just wasn't sure how it would effect battery life over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Motor guide is just as good. I have a 20 ft Hydrasport.
    I can troll cranks for 6-8 hours on a charge (Minnkota Ulterra 112/36V).
    You should be able to get at least 6 hours .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A trolling plate I'm is so much easier than drift socks. If you don't want to run a TM. The easy troller plates from Cabela's work well, depending on the hp of your outboard. I actually had to bore some holes in my plate on my Yamaha 30 hp. Without the holes I couldn't troll above .3 mph. As I was originally setting up for walleye I needed speeds of 1.2- 1.8. Most people do fine on thier set-up without having to do any additional modifications.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Redge thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oops. Trolling plate in my opinion........ Dang auto correct ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling plates are the way to go. I know many on here do not like them, but I have added to every boat I had. Last one was a suzuki 140 as well. About 2.4 with out it and about 1.5 with it engaged. Be sure to get the easytroller that has the plate hinged in the middle. If you look on craigslist at the used ones for sale, the happy troller without the hinges have about 80% of the bent where they have put the boat in gear and throttled down without releasing the plate. You will forget sooner than later and the easytroller will simply flip up and not bend.
    Thanks Spiderdog62 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

All the above. The length of trolling time can be increased by larger group size of battery and/or adding a second bank of trolling motor batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

dont know your boat,tiller, or console..but first thing to try is back troll...will slow you down..try it and see

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an auto pilot MK Riptide and troll for 6 hours plus and still have battery left. I like .8 to 1.5 and it has always done the job for me. The I-Pilot would be that much better, but I have a while before I'll upgrade. My 70lb will pull an 18' bass boat at 2.4 if I wind it up, but I seldom do.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast