HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowe 175 with 25hp. Looking for info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowe 175 with 25hp. Looking for info

Do any of you have a Lowe stinger 175 with a 25 hp. If so how does it run ? Top speed ?
    Reason is I'm considering pulling the 75 optimax off mine and going with a 25. To many lakes with 25 hp restrictions Tired of spending fishing time trolling to spots Thanks
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them
    Thanks Cray thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do not have that exact setup but based on some past experience with similar setups. Worst conditions heavy loaded , motor and setup not perfect..18 to 22 mph. Light weight and perfectly tuned and propped,jackplate and power trim...28 to 29 mph...maybe. Somewhere in between for middling setup.It makes a huge difference if by yourself and boat livewells empty etc..versus couple fat boys and coolers loaded and livewell or livewells full etc.
    Likes Cray LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping 20-25 mph. With jack plate I'm just tired of being handicapped cause I can't run my motor. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Its not the motor that's handicapping you, its the alcohol. LOL

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Cane Pole, largerick3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. When your on a 900-2100 acre lake and can't use the motor it sucks Then you buy alcohol because you're bummed
    Likes wilbur, Cane Pole, Cray, skunked again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say 20 would be about the best you should expect, and it will likely be a dog to get on plane.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Lowe 180W with 90hp and I'm sure they are comparable in size. I would think in would be hard to plane off or even if it would. I had a 14' jon boat with a 25hp that would run about 25 to 28 so I don't how 25hp would push a 175.
    Set da hook
    Thanks Cray thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Up here in MA there is a very large reservoir that we fish for a variety of species. This particular body of water requires 25 hp max., or 50% of the hull's rated hp on smaller rigs. I've been on that body of water with 25's and with boats varying between 16' and 18'. Depending on the number of people and tackle aboard, I can guarantee you that you'll push with at least 18 mph, regardless of the hull.

The 18' Lund gets us going at 20 - 21 mph (GPS) with 3 people aboard. That's about the best that you can expect. Just make sure you get the correct shaft length on the engine. The cavitation plate (fin just above the prop) MUST be no lower than the lowest point on your transom. That's 90% of the problem most rigs have with top end speed. Prop pitch affects are quite a bit less, but by matching the correct prop to the hull, you can expect to increase your top end by a couple of mph.

EDIT: The above is based on Tiller boats btw. Heavy console boats with wind shields will deliver less top end speed - obviously.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I say 20 - 23 best case empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I need a 115 with all my cranks and jigs thanks guys I'm still on the fence. I might just wait my fishing partner out until he gets a 25 lol
    Likes FIN LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast