Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting 2 batteries, 2 bank charger & finders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Connecting 2 batteries, 2 bank charger & finders

I have 2 batteries in the front of my boat with a 2 bank minn Kota charger. They run trolling motor, 2 hds units, and a structure scan box. Question is how should all this be connected together? I want it connected so trolling motor is on both batteries to last longer. It's a 12 volt minn Kota 45lb edge. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you can swing it, I'd put another battery up front, or in back, for the electronics and wire your two current batteries as 24 or 12 volt. This will also eliminate interference of the trolling motor on your other electronic devices. Leave the two bank hooked to your trolling motor batteries and use a portable battery charger to top off the third battery. I wasn't aware they made 12 volt trolling motors. I only was aware or 24 volt or 36 volt trolling motors.

Post Thanks / Like

I might do that. I have had several of 12 volt trolling motors. I thought about putting a 24 voly on it. It's a 17ft bass tracker and the 12 volt has been good so far.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what you should do.....Connect everything in your boat except your trolling motor to your starting battery....Then wire two twelve volt batterys in paralell ( not series) to run your 12 volt trolling motor longer. Hook both banks of your two bank onboard charger individually to your two trolling motor batterys and get a single bank charger for your starting battery.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes crp4570, Tracker81 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Then you can hook the two batteries to only 12 volt output and have twice the trolling time if you decide to pull jigs or cranks.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crp4570 View Post
    Cool. Then you can hook the two batteries to only 12 volt output and have twice the trolling time if you decide to pull jigs or cranks.
    Yes....wired in parallel you have one big 12 volt battery.........wired in series you have 24 volts.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Positive to positive, negative to negative...

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Both batterys should be the same Group size, brand,type and age....if not the weaker battery will pull the other one down to its level. Best to go with biggest group size...Group 31. Will give you lots more run time.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I am useing a group 27 starting battery and it starts my 90 HP outboard and runs everything except my TM. three fish finders ,two airators, elec anchor, and everything else and I still have power to start motor at the end of the day.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast