Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bnm psts and planer boards?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bnm psts and planer boards?

Does anyone use psts to pull planer boards? Specifically or12s or similar sized boards. I'm concerned they won't be able to handle the load.

Post Thanks / Like

I pull planer boards almost exclusively. I think I own 16 OR12 boards. I've broken my fair share of rods. One thing I can say, if it doesn't say "planer board" someplace on the rod, I won't buy it. Not sure about BNM rods. Never owned one.

Denali, Okuma, shimano tdr are all very common planer board rods used for walleye in Michigan. Northwoods has about the best prices.

If however you are specifically talking about pulling boards for crappie, might I suggest "the ultimate crappie board" by offshore. It is an improved design over the original mini board allowing for slower trolling speeds because the board is neutrally buoyant. They can also be casted which would lend well with your ability to pull them with a much lighter rod. With these boards, you wont need a planer board specific rod.

Most of us run 7'6" and 8'6" rods. I run both at once. They are stout through the first 3/4 of the rod but have a soft last 1/4. You no not want a stiff rod. The rod needs to flex with the waves. Failure to flex results in unwanted board hop (boards comming out of the water)

Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

The pst's will handle the "load" from the board just fine. Going to pull cranks behind the boards?
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    The pst's will handle the "load" from the board just fine. Going to pull cranks behind the boards?
    Yessir

Post Thanks / Like

I've used just plain ol wally world brand 7' bass rods with those boards and cranks, no problems.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

7 footers are about prime for when you get the board up close and want to unclip it.More stress on longer rods. The reason for the longer rods when pulling cranks is to get some separation with your baits. With the boards you inherently have the separation.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.