Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish/depth finders...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish/depth finders...

So, talking to a fellow fisherman yesterday and he mentioned that he turns off his fish finders once he finds the fish, because it seems to scare them off. I have an older Eagle (late 80-ish) and can hear a "tick" when it's on, but I haven't had it long enough to know it's little idiosyncrasies... So, now I'm wondering...... Can the fish hear that tick too, and have they been conditioned to avoid the area when they hear it??? Just curious what your all's thoughts might be on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I can hear it if the transducer is out of water. I don't think it affects fishing though. I've never turned it off and I've caught fish in very shallow water under the boat. I think the trolling motor has a larger potential to spook, yet they don't seem to mind it either. Imo, knowing exactly where the boat is in regards to what you are fishing is more important

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I always thought too, but thought I'd ask if some new piece of science came out or something. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I stumpjump a lot and do not seem to have a problem with my 25 running right overhead.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only one place turning off the depth finder makes a difference but I am fishing Walleyes. It is a drift thru a shallow channel dragging jigs. Leave the depth finder on and will not get bit the boat can drift over them and does not bother them got me I only know that particular spot makes a difference. It is the only time I have had this happen.
    Likes Spiderdog62 LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The transmit will be louder out of water because the unit is increasing transmit power (within its capability) to try and find bottom (which it can't find out of water) ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Clint, chaunc, MidMsAngler, Spiderdog62, crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a theory they can feel it with their lateral line. Especially if the bottom is hard like rock. Now most of the time I have a radio blaring and two sounders on and just fish on. I catch more fish using the sonar to identify where , when , and how that ultimately catches more fish with then without. But I have experimented some...and my conclusion is you will catch some extra fish at times by turning it off. I catch more fish by not getting to close to the fish and when the trolling motor is not on.The shallower and clearer the more critical it becomes. The less that fish knows you're around the better off you are.

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

the tick on my new Mega is so loud ,the fish just float to the top and I just scoopem up.
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore
    Likes Crestliner08, BigDawgg, Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    the tick on my new Mega is so loud ,the fish just float to the top and I just scoopem up.

OH PLEASE!!!

If I know where I am I usually turn it off. New territory I keep it on but I've fished a few places that I was catching fish pretty regular until I turned on the unit. The bite slowed after that. Next trip I left it off and caught fish right along. I'm in the camp that the lateral line picks up on it, but it's a non issue While moving down a bank. Deeper water I don't believe there's any effect.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes PDog LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast