HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracker panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tracker panfish

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a tracker panfish boat here soon that a buddy's dad has for sale. It is a stick steer boat. I was curious if anyone here has experience with the stick steer. Some guys I work with are telling me to stay away from it, but don't provide a logical explanation why...lol So, what are any pros and cons I will face in buy this boat?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Rough ride in windy conditions plus you will get wet with spray......they are ok in calm waters.....and it really depends on how you fish ...what methods etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

typically casting and vertical jigging. I don't mind getting a little wet from time to time

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Tracker 17.5 model. Great boat! Never had a stick steer though.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Thanks cbach thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My long time fishing partner, Walt, has had and still has, a Tracker Panfish stick steer. We've fished out of it for many, many years (30 or more at least). Great boat, as long as you realize it's limitations. It is not a boat for open water - period. Wasn't designed that way and if you're caught in a rough sea, you are going to take a beating!

Not knowing what bodies of water you fish, be aware that the rear seat passenger is going to get WET if it's rough out there at all. The back spray is tremendous. I have to face backwards in order not to take a bath when we're running out.

Next thing is that this being a "riveted" hull, they have a tendency to leak. Not sure how many times Walt has had rivets repaired, but this particular boat still takes on water after a days fishing. Less than 5 gal. or so, so it's not a big deal to pull the plug when you pull off, but you should be aware of that potential.

Finally, the stick steer is a great feature, however, over time it will loosen up to the point where you must keep your hand on the stick at all times, even when slow moving in search mode; or it will turn on you. Some don't find this to be a problem. But it's just something you should be aware of.

Outside of these few minor annoyances, she's a fine boat that will give you many, many years of dependable service.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Hat55, cbach, zig zag LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G3 165 pf stick steer. It is 16 ft. with a 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke. It is a great boat, stable and dry. It is good on fuel, quiet and easy to tow. My family has out grown the boat so we are going to a glass bass boat. She is for sale on craigslist now, but she will be missed.

Post Thanks / Like

always wanted a stick steer until i bought one. wet ride. one time as i was turning sharp bend in river hit a snag, stick jumped out of my hand and almost landed up on shore in the woods. sold boat as trade in on steering wheel model.
    a stick steer , well NEVER AGAIN !!!
    Likes cbach LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my console steer Tracker with a 16.5 ft Duracraft stick steer. It is a bigger boat than the Panfish so the ride is not as wet in rough weather, especially for the back seat. It will pound you in the front, so I research the weather before I go and I may drive 10 miles further to launch near where I plan to fish to avoid running in bad weather.
    I love the convenience of not having to move out of my seat and the passenger is really set with all his gear right there and not having to climb up and down raised decks. That was one of the main reasons I switched to stick steer. Couple of my buddies are not steady on their feet and I was afraid they would one day fall overboard trying to get up on the rear deck.
    It is fun to fish out of and long as you are careful with the weather you will be fine.
    I will say that if you are caught in really bad weather with wind and white caps any boat in the size range of the Panfish or mine is going to have a white knuckle ride, so it's not like you are the only one getting hammered.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Hat55, cbach LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a 17.5 Wareagle stick steer. They have their pluses and minuses just like any other boat. As a general rule they are not open, rough water boats at all. Like Crestliner said passenger is going to get wet if rough at all. Mine with a 50 has enough bow lift to make it fairly dry in most chop. You will take a pounding up front if it's pretty rough. If your fishing smaller bodies of water, creeks, slough's the maneuverability is awesome. I like the fact once I launch I don't get out of the seat and have to do a bunch of walking around in the boat. I spider rig, pull cranks, long line, single pole and cast out of mine with no problems. Only thing I have seen is most panfish are under powered because most were sold with a 25 when to perform well they need a 40. The 25 will get it around well and would be good if you fish HP restricted lakes up there.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Hat55, zig zag LIKED above post

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a panfisher with 50hp Loved it. Need atleast a 40hp in mho. Great for old fat men that don't need to be moving around in a boat. I don't like rough water period even in my Ranger. Caught more fish in it than any other boat. Really nice if going by yourself. Just beware of it's limitations. Sold mine to my son-in-law so I could always go borrow it!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Likes shipahoy41, zig zag LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast