Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bait tank filters

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait tank filters

im building me a live bait tank out of a ten gallon cooler and im needing to set up a cleanable filter system and i was wondering if any you guys had any idea about what i could use to filter the water with. Ive got a bigger tank, that will hold about 30 or 40 gallons im also making, but on it im using a in house water filter thats used to filter tap water in a house. I think its gonna work great for that but its too big to use in the smaller cooler.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    im building me a live bait tank out of a ten gallon cooler and im needing to set up a cleanable filter system and i was wondering if any you guys had any idea about what i could use to filter the water with. Ive got a bigger tank, that will hold about 30 or 40 gallons im also making, but on it im using a in house water filter thats used to filter tap water in a house. I think its gonna work great for that but its too big to use in the smaller cooler.
    There are some smaller in line filters they use to filter water to a single tap or for those refridgerators that have water dispeners in the door. They connect to 1/4" tubing. I 've been fortunate enough to solve the expensive bait problem. The place I buy minnows is a combination gas station, chinese restaurant and bait shop. It's owned by an asian guy. They always give a few extra minnows and I've never seen a dead minnow in his tank.(I wouldn't order the sushi tho...). He put me on the crappies for minnows tradin plan and we're both happy.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

what im needin the bait tank for is keeping the big shiners alive we are using down at wateree. they have to have clean water and a little current or they wont last long.. at five dollars a dozen, you hate to see em dying after a half day fishing. with all the different stuff ive tried, id have been better off just buying one of them 450 dollar bait tanks and forgettin it. theyd also serve double duty, to keep minnows in from one trip to the next to. saving em from dying and having to be tossed to the cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you do anything drastic, check out my new tank I am just finishing up. 20 gal insulated with heater and filter with a 750 gph air infused pump. (Sounds Good anyway) The filter is just a piece of 4 pvc pipe with a perforated cap on one end. Use a inch layer of carbon in bottom and fill the rest of the way with polyester hollowfil that they use to stuff pillows with. The polyester is cheap and you can replace it regularly. I'm looking foward to catch some shad and see how they do in it. Minnows should last indefinitly.

Post Thanks / Like

you bringing it monday?

Post Thanks / Like

yep.