Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lesson Learned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lesson Learned

I was night fishing a few days ago and was anxious to try out some new jigs I had made. I dropped a home made green LED submersible light, threw out a minnow under a bobber and started vertical jigging with another pole while trying different color combinations.

At first, the bobber and minnow were out catching the jigs, but then I started doing better on the jigs. I decided to replace the minnow with a similar pattern (but different colors) of the jig I was using on the other pole.

In the boat I just use a simple headlamp, so lighting isn't always the best. I spotted a jig I wanted to try so I put in on and tossed out the slip bobber rig. Not too long after, fish started hitting it, but for the life of me I couldn't set the hook and they kept getting off. I figured maybe it was just a bunch of smaller fish that were just pecking at the hook. The funny thing was that I was catching fish like crazy on my jigging pole.

I finally gave up on trying to get the hook set on the bobber and just left it out in the water, hoping that some less experienced fish would finally lodge itself on my jig by accident. I probably fished for another hour and decided it was time to head to the house. As I was putting the poles away, I made the discovery...

It was at that moment that I remembered snagging a jig earlier in the evening (pre-dusk) but finally managed to retrieve it. The hook was mostly straightened out so I had set it aside and tied on a different jig.

You guessed it, it was that VERY SAME jig I grabbed in the dark and had tied on to my bobber pole. ARGGGGGH!

Who knows how many more fish I would have caught that night!

Lesson Learned!
    Likes WoodChuck, Redge, Slab, scrat, RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. That sucks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, that's a good one. If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane!

Reminds me of the time I got into a frenzy of schooling bass and could not stick one for the life of me. Despite multiple strikes per cast. After the mayhem subsided and my blood pressure dropped I noticed that I never took that plastic tube that protects the point off of the spinnerbait! D'oh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Deck Officer/2nd Engineer - M/V Saint Charles.
    2004 Tracker 17.5' Panfish
    Tite-lok rod holders - PST and BGJP rods
    I fish, therefore I am!
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Always good to check your hooks often while fishing. A dull hook will cause you to lose a lots of fish not to even mention a hook that is almost straightened out like the one you mentioned. Good rule of thumb for hook sharpness is when raking it over the thumbnail if it doesn't stick in the nail or at least scratch the nail it is not sharp enough. Yes and just because a hook is new don't mean it is sharp.
    Last edited by scrat; 05-18-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add last sentence
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I had similar problems last year. Bass fishing and couldn't set hook for the life of me. After 4 time of missing a fish, on the next bite I let him run with it and I set that suckered hard. It jerked out of his mouth and I fell out the boat in the nastiest stinking moss u have ever smelt. I Climbed back in boat and realized my buddy had cut the hook off as a prank. We competed against each other all the time and on that jig I could smoke him on bass. Not no more. Lol

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
    Likes scrat, doggone LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Made me laugh.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar thing in my boat a few years back. Crappie on the bank and fishing with my wife, she of course kept getting hung up and since I use braid I kept telling her to just pull it off and bend the hook back in shape. After about my 10th keeper and her 50th time saying I got a bite….oh it’s gone and never catching one I said let me see your jig. I then said you might actually catch one if you use a jig with a hook but keep trying your way if you want!

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha,love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago while fly fishing for gills I couldn't catch on for the life of me while everyone was catching them like crazy. Finally check my fly and the hook had broke off just at the bend. Once I tied on a new fly it was whole new world. Thanks for your story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieDreamer View Post
    I was night fishing a few days ago and was anxious to try out some new jigs I had made. I dropped a home made green LED submersible light, threw out a minnow under a bobber and started vertical jigging with another pole while trying different color combinations.

At first, the bobber and minnow were out catching the jigs, but then I started doing better on the jigs. I decided to replace the minnow with a similar pattern (but different colors) of the jig I was using on the other pole.

In the boat I just use a simple headlamp, so lighting isn't always the best. I spotted a jig I wanted to try so I put in on and tossed out the slip bobber rig. Not too long after, fish started hitting it, but for the life of me I couldn't set the hook and they kept getting off. I figured maybe it was just a bunch of smaller fish that were just pecking at the hook. The funny thing was that I was catching fish like crazy on my jigging pole.

I finally gave up on trying to get the hook set on the bobber and just left it out in the water, hoping that some less experienced fish would finally lodge itself on my jig by accident. I probably fished for another hour and decided it was time to head to the house. As I was putting the poles away, I made the discovery...

It was at that moment that I remembered snagging a jig earlier in the evening (pre-dusk) but finally managed to retrieve it. The hook was mostly straightened out so I had set it aside and tied on a different jig.

You guessed it, it was that VERY SAME jig I grabbed in the dark and had tied on to my bobber pole. ARGGGGGH!

Who knows how many more fish I would have caught that night!

Lesson Learned!
    i called up a long beard several years ago. he got to about 20yrds, i squeezed the trigger and click. yep no bullets. biggest darn turkey i ever laid my eyes on too.