Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Top 50 Crappie Lakes

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Top 50 Crappie Lakes

For several years I have seen posts, polls etc on the Top 50 crappie lakes. Not throwing rocks but I wondered how this is arrived at? First I hope the person or persons have all personally fished these lakes that year? and the only person in a years time that I can think of that fishes this many different waters is SLAB himself. Every person has his favorite I am sure but, I was wondering for the average Joe what exactly excites most fisherman? Is it heavy fish? Is it numbers(Limit out) Is it the beauty of the lake? Is it your stay (Lodging and access or food while there?) I took a look at the weights for the Crappie USA this year and there are 4 Tenn lakes listed in the Top 50 of those 4. There is only 1 that approaches the 2 lb average bag of 14 lbs for one day, Yet our own Crappie club fished (ETCC) in 2 tournaments this year on a lake not mentioned that the one day tournament weight was over 13 lbs . Not throwing rocks again just would like some input what makes a top lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Well most people will not fish 50 lakes in a lifetime but we see and hear about lakes so I would say it is most people's opinion it's just fishermen talking and it's just for entertainment only. This topic comes up because people want to go to New lakes and it helps to decide where to go. I really couldn't pick 50 lakes myself. I could give you my opinion on the 5 or 6 around my house and someone else would disagree with me on that so don't over think this one it's just good fishing talk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read, this list was done by the tournament trails for crappies. They put this together according to their results of their tourneys. Numbers, size, and weight were all important factors in it.
    Likes tenncrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say, for the most part, the average person could come up with "his or Her" top 5 or 10. Cross reference that with people within each state and you might get a listing of about 12 quality lakes (some states more than others). Some have bucket list places to fish (Enid, Sardis, etc...)

I would however hate for my list to get in to the wrong hands just as I'm sure everyone has a lake that not many people know about (and we are ok with that)!! Similar to my "States" example, this top 50 list might really only have 5 or 6 bucket list destination places. The rest on the list would rival with most of our favorite top 5 or 10.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes tenncrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder myself , we have a top ten in Texas and some of them don't measure up from what I have seen ...interesting its the same elsewhere
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Like many, I have a bucket list. The numbers in any list don't have much effect on my decisions. I like to fish a lot and have fished 55 years now, and I doubt that I have fished over 50 bodies of water, or at least it wouldn't seem so to me. For me, it's the total experience. I could go to a beautiful place and get perfect conditions, in good company, and not get very many fish and be the happiest man you know. I wont ramble but you see my point.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input everyone.

Ttexastom is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Santee cooper gets my vote. They have nice camps and guides there. Big crappie, catfish, stripers. My home lake clarks hill is runner-up. It is a very nice lake but, is lacking in marinas and no fish camps that i know of. Big stringers come out of clark hill, it is a known producer of big crappie.
    John 3:16