Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how to catch rolling carp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to catch rolling carp?

I have been spending time in Back Bay, crappie are widely scattered so end up catching everything. I have been watching HUGE carp rolling all over, is there a way to catch them? on a fly rod? We used corn to catch them when I was a kid and it worked in deep water holes. I throw them all back, just would like to have something big on the end of my line.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I made my grandson some jigs once and he was out back of the house (in Jax, Fla) and latched into a big one. I don't recall seeing any rolling on top of the water. He wound up loosing it when he got too excited but it sure was worth it just watching him. Anyway I don't know if a jig will work all the time or if that was just a fluke. I'll go with it being a fluke since I've never caught any while crappie fishing. Maybe add some corn to the jig?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I always heard that when they are rolling they are in the spawn, and will not eat. I thought that was the time to use a bow and arrow on carp. I used to watch people "snatch" mullet with a weighted treble or "snatch hook". They would cast beyond a school of mullet and jerk the weighted hook to snag fish. I guess if you are quick enough, you could snatch a carp too.

Post Thanks / Like

Corn was gonna be my suggestion too. They're bottom feeders...canned corn is cheap......I used to take a handful and throw it into the water and then bait up a hook with a few pieces too. Sort of like chumming.