Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeking some advice from wise crappie anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Request seeking some advice from wise crappie anglers

hello all, i fish a small half acre lake. There is no visible cover and its about 5-6 feet in the deepest areas. Theres alot of submergent vegetation, and because there is no cover for the fish i would assume they hide within the vegetation during the day hours. the only problem with that is, its hard to reach the middle of the lake from the shore, especially with any jighead 1/16 oz or smaller. Anything heavier sinks into the weeds. How do i reach crappies that are just out of reach of my normal lures ? whats the best way to fish for crappies from shore in a weedy lake , when they are just out of your normal reach ? And whats the best method for finding the fish without electronics ? any help would be greatly appreciated.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a weighted bobber to cast small light jigs.....set bobber depth to keep your jig out of the vegetation.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

What G said but be careful if you have to pull the fish through the vegetation as they have really tender mouths you could loose some.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobber stop, bead, slip bobber, bead, 1/8 head with favorite grub with scent or minnow. Dial it in to right above vegetation. Pop it every so often if not getting bit. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We have a similar lake near us, though it's much bigger in size, we finally wrote it off as being impossible to fish from shore. Now from a belly boat or light kyak it's a different story all together

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

i find that when i use a slip bobber with any jighead bigger than 1/32 oz, it pulls the float under water. Is there a particular float that can hold a 1/8 oz jighead up ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ross View Post
    i find that when i use a slip bobber with any jighead bigger than 1/32 oz, it pulls the float under water. Is there a particular float that can hold a 1/8 oz jighead up ?
    Thill makes a series of weighted bobbers marked with the "hold" weight of each bobber. You can google their site or go on Amazon.com. There are other companies as well. However, why do you want to use a 1/8 oz. jig below the bobber? I often use a slip bobber, but have never gone larger than 1/16 oz.. Sometimes a tiny offering held in their noses, can be dynamite!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the weighted slip floats. Weighted floats offer the ability to cast very far distances with lures weighing next to nothing. The lighter the lure the more natural the fall and longer time in the strike zone.

Post Thanks / Like

heavy balsa float it is and a Go Go minnow in a sunfish looking color , set about 3 to 4 foot deep and fan cast the area, return it real slowly to you without much twitching action ,,,,REAL REAL slow ....and keep moving until you find the area that's holding them .....when landing fish there use line about 8 lb test and get cranking when they get close to the bank,weed line ....SAIL them with a good heave BEFORE they get to the weed line onto the bank .....you wont loose many and the ones that come off are typically already in the air and coming to the shore even if they don't want to ...LOL
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may need to try a fly rod with a very slow sinking gnat,bug,etc. but be ready to catch a lot of bream also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast