Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sprong trip choice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sprong trip choice

I have a week to fish this spring for crappie. I live about 8 hours from Kentucky Lake and maybe 10 hours from Reelfoot.

If you had your druthers in the third week of March, would you try Reelfoot or Kentucky Lake. I have never fished Reelfoot and fished Kentucky Lake 20 years ago with limited success.

Any opinions are welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depends on the Weather

One can never tell what the weather will be like in March in KY or TN. But odds are that Reelfoot Lake will be warmer than KY lake simply because it's much shallower and smaller. With that said the third week of March MAY and I emphise MAY have shallower crappie. Even if the water at Reelfoot is still cool the crappie should be in the drops and from what I have read about Reelfoot the lake is shallow in most of the lake. What deep spots there are should be easier to find espeically if you hire a guide the first day of your trip.

You can catch crappie on KY lake in March if you can get out on the drops even if the weather and the water is still on the cold side.

You can never really tell what March is going to be line and even April can be on the cool side at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ol yank
    I have a week to fish this spring for crappie. I live about 8 hours from Kentucky Lake and maybe 10 hours from Reelfoot.

If you had your druthers in the third week of March, would you try Reelfoot or Kentucky Lake. I have never fished Reelfoot and fished Kentucky Lake 20 years ago with limited success.

Any opinions are welcome
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished both lakes several times both for pleasure and in tournaments.

Third week of march (if weather stays close to prior years) the crappie will be at the peak of the spawn on Reelfoot and the action should be very hot. Watch out and be prepared for strong winds on Reelfoot, no joke. There are tons of guides on that lake, but I know none of them to recommend. If you don't want to hire a guide on Reelfoot, just find the area where all the boats are (sometimes 50 or more) and join in. Mostly trolling and drifting on that lake.

For Kentucky Lake, I recommend the Big Sandy area near Paris, TN. Call Richard Williams or private message him here on crappie.com (1weezer) to guide you and he'll put you on'em for sure.

Better yet, I'll should be on Lake Greeson the third week of March. You can check it out on my website (click the link below). Come on over to Arkansas. Our crappie are prettier anyway. (just kidding) Hope you have a great trip.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]