Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jigging trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigging trees

got 2 new 10 foot rods coming to balance your rods after reel is on what do you all use got some ancient bass pro balancing system for my bass rods which are pretty much retired but ther kina to large

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way I know how to balance the outfit is to put the correct reel on it (weight-wise) and lay it on your outstretched finger ... with your finger under the front end of the handle.
    If it balances ... you're good to go. If it tends to dip towards the handle, it will work but may "feel" a little heavy in hand. If it tends to dip towards the rod tip, it ain't gonna work (IMHO) and will wear your wrist & forearm out with any extended use. If it "drops" towards either end of the rod ... it's too light or too heavy and you need to find a different reel.

I have heard of people putting coins or slugs inside a butt cap and placing it on the butt of the rod handle ... as a cheap alternative to those balance systems. But, in either case, they only work to counteract a tip heavy outfit. A larger/ heavier reel does the same thing and doesn't require other "pieces" to be added.
    Likes skeetbum, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do the coins in a film canister taped over the reel butt, can get balance pretty much perfect.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What Pappy said. For the past few years. when I look at a new rod for casting, I'll get a salesman to let me borrow one of the reels that I will be using on it to check the balance. You would be surprised at the difference, especially with the newer really light weight rods.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Try to do what as skeetbum advises. Don't know about big stores but the mom and pop's all did that for me. I don't buy rods on-line for this reason alone, unless I have personal experience with the product(s) in question.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. What is the lightest 11 footer you guys would recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Not much help here, my only experience is with a BnM jig pole. Have a Grizzly Elite Baitcaster on it.

Post Thanks / Like

don't use a long pole much but balance is critical when you do for sure , tip heavy or the opposite makes for a long day
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I've been happy with the BnM poles, I like the brushcutter. There are lighter ones available. I also really like the Wally Marshall signature poles. For my style of fishing I use a micro spinning reel which keeps things light and compact.