HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: She'll cracker

Post Thanks / Like

Default She'll cracker

Anyone know how to target these little fighters specifically? I usually catch them occasionally when crappie or bluegill fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Thanks brucec thanked you for this post

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish around stumps using red wigglers.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They usually like it right on the bottom .if you know the depth of the water adjust a float to almost on bottom . Or tight line em small split shot. They like small hair jigs or worms or crickets will work . Most time bait has to be real still .They are usually a little deeper that gills but not always . They r spooked very easily but if you spook em give em 20-30 mins after spooking usually they will go back to biting .

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rusty, get yourself some green worms either dye them or buy them and fish in the grass or close to it. Down here in NC I find em close to the bottom or in the gator grass!! right in the middle of it. At Santee I/ve got em up to 2lbs and the males are super aggressive. Have fun!
    Likes CootShooter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Catching them here casting tiny sliders on weed edges

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow trout magnet under a float near bottom, coarse gravel bottom, eight fow.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Our redears at the local lake like deeper water than the bluegills though in my pond they're spawning in 13in water. They love crickets yet the bluegills usually knock those off in a second. I've found worms 5 ft under a bobber or on bottom just above the sinker with #4 hook more successful. Northland mimic minnow, 2in or 1/32oz, usually worked. Cast near the bank from boat, reel in medium speed, set hook lightly. Raised 1 in a 150 gal Rubbermaid years ago, small 1 to 3in crawfish drove him crazy as he'd swim around with nose down hunting for 'em. If a certain bug is hatching out, ie mayfly, a similar looking fly fished submersed will nail 'em. State records for the shellcracker average an ounce more than black crappie if you throw out TN and the northern states as outliers. Once they finish the spawn, late May here in the south, they head to the deep and are a challenge to locate.

Interesting fish, I don't know why folks would choose bluegill over shellcracker for a 'bream' pond.

Post Thanks / Like

fish somewhere that has a population that will allow you to catch the numbers you want. A lot of bodies of water have a few...but that's what you will always catch "a few".

They use specific areas in any body of water... you have to figure out where they are unless you get lucky and someone shows you.

They do not always bite readily...like a lot of species they can be almost impossible to catch for periods of the year.

Typically waters that have good numbers will have a good mussel and snail population. Be realistic...don't expect to catch the same number of fish in a water that has 50 fish per acre as opposed to somewhere that has 300 fish per acre for example.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use this rig as shown in the photo when I am in a boat. If you are bank fishing use a slip float and then use the set up as shown after you thread your line through the slip float. Tie on a #8 gold hook on the snap instead of the jig as shown in the photo. and place a few red wiggler worms on the hook. You can even grow your own red wigglers and have an endless supply ready for whenever you want to go fishing. Here is a link to show you how to raise them.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-...shellcrackesr/

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-...ank-container/

This is the setup for fishing Bluegill and Shellcracker. Drop the rig to the lake bottom and then reel up about three turns. That should get you bit.

Name:  Basic Bluegill Tightline rig by shipahoy41.jpg
Views: 8877
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  Basic Tightline rig by shipahoy41.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  FISHING FOR GILLS.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  82.4 KB
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-11-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Rusty Lee, rebranger LIKED above post
    Thanks Javelin 180 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Go over to Panfish forum and do a search on shell cracker and you will find all the info you need.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk