Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baked on decal removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baked on decal removal

I am trying to remove the registration numbers on an aluminum lund multi species boat. Anyway I have tried the air dryer, then the heat gun trick and can barely get microscopic pieces off and at this rate would take days to remove. Even tried a couple so called decal/adhesive removers to no avail! Seen on youtube a gentleman used a 3M eraser wheel to remove his. Question is has anyone else used the eraser wheel to remove decals? Only 25 bucks on Amazon and thinking its my last resort.Any information would be appreciated. TYVM in advance....
    Marky

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried WD-40? Maybe spray it on, then stick a paper towel to it and saturate the paper towel.

Is this a painted hull? If not painted, some of the better solvents like lacquer thinner can give impressive results when other things fail.
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Quailtail is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a single edged razor blade. Just have to be careful with the blade angle to keep from getting into boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a buddy use one of the eraser wheels to remove LOTS of decals from the sides of an aluminum trailer. Worked better than other methods he tried. He got his at a local Auto Parts store.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Catfan..Thanks and yes it is a painted aluminum hull. I did try a couple applications of WD40 , and also goo gone and some kind of aircraft decal remover. Have not done the paper towel deal tho. Think I will try that now and see what it looks like after work, but dont have a whole lot of confidence in getting these stubborn numbers off anymore.Thanks!
    Marky

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Clint--If the WD40 soak doesnt work I will order the wheel. Heading up to my daughters in Wisconsin tomorrow so I would have amazon prime send it up there.Got some nice numbers from Iquana Grafix that will look real nice if I can manage to get the old off.
    Marky
    Likes fish getter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I always put my new ones right over the old ones. So far I haven't had an issue doing so.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried using those erasers on our big trucks to remove decals. They will work but sure got to be careful. They will get your paint so fast it will scare you. Most any solvent strong enough will get paint also. Just take your time.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes try'n hard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes rubbing alcohol will work too. I have also heard of using brake fluid. Don't have first hand experience with either, but I have heard others say they work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast