HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The age old question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default The age old question...

In the market for a boat. Priced a new Ranger Rt188 in the color i want, with all the electronics i want. Went and drove a 16 model Lowe 195 stinger today. I could live with it as its a cadillac compared to what i had. New Ranger is $30kish the used Lowe is a smidge more than half the money of the Ranger. Boats are pretty much the same length, and same h.p. The Lowe did seem a bit "cheaper" built as the lids sagged some when i walked around on them and but the boat is pretty much cherry with no issues. I would have to upgrade the TM and fish finder on the Lowe. The trailer on the Lowe isnt as heavy duty as i would want it. Then comes the terms...Ranger 15 yrs vs Lowe 6 yrs. The new Ranger is "THE" boat, one that Im sure I would keep and love. Haha The lowe is a good buy, i could make do with it, and would suit my needs just fine. The age old question.... new vs used. 4 of my good buddies are 50/50 on the debate. So no help there. Tne ol lady is a "you only live once" person too. Also would like to hear some reviews on the Lowe brand of boats. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't get what you really want you yourself will never be satisfied. If you can afford it get what you really want while you are young and can enjoy it. That's my two cents worth.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Mudskiff, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get the best you can afford.
    Fish hard live hard.
    Thanks Mudskiff thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Buy once....."Cry Once"

Regards
    Likes scrat, Mudskiff, Will_P LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    If you don't get what you really want you yourself will never be satisfied. If you can afford it get what you really want while you are young and can enjoy it. That's my two cents worth.
    I agree. One caveat. Get what you want with cash. My opinion regarding boat purchasing...I'm a Dave Ramsey guy when it comes to boat buying. If you can't pay cash, then wait until you can.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes mccowan, Redge, JET4, Grayu, crappiemax LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to think real hard before I financed a boat 15 years jmho. I willing to bet around year 6 or so your going to start to hate that boat. And you still have 9 years to go. Good luck in your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

A 15 year note would scare me also. Also try to pay cash for my toys.......even if it meant selling some of my "not used very often" ones to support something that I will enjoy more. That being said I have put off doing things over the years and now realize that I should have gone ahead and lived in the day. Nobody is promised tomorrow and your health can go south quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my biggest concern with the new one is whether my love for it will overcome that monthly payment as years go by. I have never kept any vehicle or boat ive ever owned more than 5 yrs. The new boat may break that cycle. Who knows. Hahaha! I would be somewhat settling for the lowe but it is a good buy. I have drove both in heavy wind and the ranger rides better but I dont fish in heavy winds. I would have to buy an ultrexx TM for the lowe, the ranger will come with one. fighting wind in these tin boats is no fun hence why I want the Ultrexx.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't go into the details, most have already been addressed. I've seen the Ranger and talked to the owners and none have an " I wish I had " list to talk about. They're pleased with the boat, every aspect. I bit the bullet a few years back and bought a boat that was real close to what I was after. 8 years down the road, I still wish I had held out and gotten one that was 2 feet longer than what I have. If it's the Ranger that you compare the others to, buy the Ranger and you'll never look back. Just my opinion.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks Mudskiff thanked you for this post

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

About mid way through the payments on the Ranger the boat is not going to be worth what you owe on it. I have waited
    years on things I wanted but not necessarily need. I always got them, just not when I wanted them. I never took a cheaper
    route either. I would save and crawl before I walked.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes Mudskiff, Mike1234 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast