Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie Weight

Does a chart exist that gives you an approximate weight for Crappies based on length? If not how about an equation?

Post Thanks / Like

That would be really hard to do with larger crappie but maybe with the smaller ones. You can have a big difference with crappie 12" or more.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.rodrule.com/Rodrule1004/C...on%20chart.pdf

Here's one Jigmeister but from the fish I've measured and weighed aroiund here it is a bit on the heavy side. Our crappie are at their heaviest weight of the year right now and we had a black female today that measured 15.5-inches with it's mouth open and it weighed right at 2-pounds, which is pretty typical for this time of year. The longest and heaviest crappie that any of my clients has caught fishing with me was a black crappie that was 18-inches and weighed 2.75-pounds.

TapOut64 is correct - they can vary a lot in weight vs length depending on location, time of year, gender and species.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Weight

Thanks Guys! I caught a couple of 10.5" thru the ice yesterday that pulled like a freight train. The first one nearly pulled the jigging rod out of my hand and the other one hit a fathead minnow. They are such a fun fish on light tackle. I guessed that they weighed about 3/4 of a lb, which according to the Rod Rule is pretty close. I wonder if they average pre and post spawn fish in their calculations?