HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Line counter question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line counter question

I'm trying to learn how to troll cranks and jigs for crappie. I've watched a lottt of videos on YouTube and read many of the treads here. I'm seeing that the biggest part of trolling cranks is knowing how much line you have out to know how deep your crank is running. Everyone is talking about line counter reels. Since I am, let's say, financially challenged, can I put a clip on line counter to my current reel, or is that not the same thing? Is there reels that come with line counters that are head and shoulders above the rest? I use my rods for just about everything. Not one specific purpose. I troll and cast spinners with my 6' ugly stick and I troll and Bobber fish and jig with my 10' slab daddy. So if I could buy a couple cheap clip on line counters for when I'm trolling cranks that I can remove when doing other techniques that would be ideal. What is everyone's opinion on a clip on line counter vs. an actual built in line counter reel?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-1...&wl13=&veh=sem

Here is the line counter I'm looking at but if anyone has other options I'm all ears. Still very very new to trolling, only tried it once, but I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can so I can be effective at it more and more each time I go out.

Edit: also, I use spinning reels, not bait casters if that makes a difference

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother with those clip on counters. PM me your address I have a couple you can have, one new in the package. You can buy Shakespeare ATS15 line counter reels for $26 each from Northwoods Outlet. And you don't have to have line counters and spinning reels will work fine. Line counters just make it easier to set back out consistently to a desired depth. Plenty of folks pull cranks and guesstimate, other options also like marking your line with permanent marker, depth hunter line etc..

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 4 of the Shakespeare ATS reels. Actually got them in a combo with trolling rods for less than $40 a piece. Hard to beat that, I was actually surprised at the reels quality, they seem better made that I would expect for such a low cost reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snubbys View Post
    I wouldn't bother with those clip on counters. PM me your address I have a couple you can have, one new in the package.
    Pm sent. Thank you!
    Any other advice o. Trolling? I mainly use arkie cranks and last week the fish were 8-13' in 20-25 fow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I could give you is to not put your baits under the fish. An Arkie 350 series will run 8 ft deep with 26' of line in the water at 1.7mph. I myself, like many others have made the mistake of fishing to deep and fishing under the fish. It's best to be above them a bit. And I wouldn't limit myself to just one type crankbait. Arkies are great, but some days bandits work better or some other crank bait with a little different action. Try multiple colors, baits, depths, speeds, trolling path directions until you figure out what the fish prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    I'm trying to learn how to troll cranks and jigs for crappie. I've watched a lottt of videos on YouTube and read many of the treads here. I'm seeing that the biggest part of trolling cranks is knowing how much line you have out to know how deep your crank is running. Everyone is talking about line counter reels. Since I am, let's say, financially challenged, can I put a clip on line counter to my current reel, or is that not the same thing? Is there reels that come with line counters that are head and shoulders above the rest? I use my rods for just about everything. Not one specific purpose. I troll and cast spinners with my 6' ugly stick and I troll and Bobber fish and jig with my 10' slab daddy. So if I could buy a couple cheap clip on line counters for when I'm trolling cranks that I can remove when doing other techniques that would be ideal. What is everyone's opinion on a clip on line counter vs. an actual built in line counter reel?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-1...&wl13=&veh=sem

Here is the line counter I'm looking at but if anyone has other options I'm all ears. Still very very new to trolling, only tried it once, but I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can so I can be effective at it more and more each time I go out.

Edit: also, I use spinning reels, not bait casters if that makes a difference
    I am in the same boat. I actually was looking at the clip on line counters yesterday. But everything i read said they was junk. Like you said I am new to this technique and dont want to sink a ton of money into something that i may not like. I have already sunk some in it buying crankbaits but you need them. I have trolled for white bass and liked it a lot. I didnt know there was so much to learn about trolling until i started reading about it. I have also been debating on buying some baitcasters with the line counter but have not got myself to do it yet. I will be watching this post.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of folks make the mistake of buying line counter reels and expecting them to be just like the high priced baitcaster reels where you can cast with them all day. I can cast my Okuma Magda 15s and the Shakespeares good enough to get a crankbait out where it belongs but casting them often is not what they are made for. I recently bought 4 of the Shakespeares mentioned above from Northwoods Outlet. I like them as well as the Okumas and they are several $$ cheaper.

Lots of guy buy the braided line that has depth marks on it. I tried it and while it works, I don't have the time or patience to watch the line intently till I get to my desired depth. When I have clients with me, I have to get the bait in the water ASAP.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

So, I guess another question would be is the Percision trolling data app worth the money or should I just experiment and try to find the depth I need on my own? Is it really that hard to figure out the depth a certine bait will run at a certine speed with xx feet of line out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Line counters are nice, but not completely necessary. You can download the trollers Bible, or there are many charts with depths you can use for depth vs line and speed. I've trolled forever with spinning reels with plenty of success.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Link is Forbidden

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast