Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this rod work for trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will this rod work for trolling?

Name:  20170504_074248.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  25.0 KB

I have these rods laying around. Could they be used for trolling with cranks?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tip probably a little stiff but they would work as long as you can get them spread out some.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if the was to stiff. I used to use them for catfish but I have changed rods. These are just sitting in the shed and didnt know if they would work. I am new to this all.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Just try them and find out if they will work for you. They seem a little stiff but just test them out. If they don't work and you don't use them anymore you could sell them in the personal classifieds section here on C D C. Good Luck. O - R

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I could see with them is the rod tip not being sensitive enough to detect possible debris or problems on the crank bait. I use the B'n'M PST rods for pulling cranks and can tell by the action of the rod tip if I pick up a single blade of grass, line twist, hook tangle etc. Believe it or not I notice this on several poles, several times every trip I pull cranks, so I can detect the issue reel it up fix the problem and let it back out. A crank bait that isn't running true or is caked up with algae, grass or debris is a crank bait that ain't fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

If they are too stiff to run straight to your crankbait like others have said (and I agree with what they have said) then slap planer boards on your line. They shud be dang fine planer board rods.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    If they are too stiff to run straight to your crankbait like others have said (and I agree with what they have said) then slap planer boards on your line. They shud be dang fine planer board rods.
    Inform me of what a planer board rod is. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

About any rod could be used with planer boards. Those rods tip are too stiff to be running straight to the crank in my opinion. For reasons mentioned above not to mention when a soft mouth crappie hits it and it barely hooks him...with a pole that is more limber the rod absorbs some of the energy and may not rip out the hooks, where as stiff rods wont do that causing the hook to rip out and miss the fish. Add a planer board to that stiff rod and you get that absorption of energy again. It is hard to explain by typing but i am doing my best. Those rods arent the best for planer board rods but they will definitely work and If I had them just laying around that is definitely what I would be using them for. Put some cheap line counter reels on them and your in business buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I may just continue to use them for catfish and buy me some trolling rods. https://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-296-limit-rods.aspx was looking at these but it says for spinning reels, I use all baitcasters.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Realistically any medium light to medium action rod of any length will work for trolling crank baits as I have used anything for trolling but have my personal preferences. Even medium action ugly sticks of various sizes will work like a charm. Just my 2 cents. I look at all the handles of the rods I am using to fit my rod holders also when buying.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast