PDA

View Full Version : Crappie schools

Rusty Lee
05-03-2017, 09:44 AM
So yesterday all the crappie I caught were palm size. Do crappie school with same size fish or will larger fish mingle with small ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy
05-03-2017, 10:04 AM
In my experiences, the answer to both questions is yes .... sometimes, but not always. They "tend" to group with the same year class, so they are roughly the same size ... but, those schools can get scattered by various means, and they don't always re-group with the same size fish.

sparkie51
05-03-2017, 10:14 AM
I seem to catch the smaller fish higher in the water column than the larger slabs. For some reason where I fish the larger fish stay close to structure while the little ones will be on the out side darting back and forth looking for a dinner.

trypman1
05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
theysaid

Yak Fish
05-03-2017, 12:46 PM
There's a deep cove near the dam of a lake I regularly fish and the crappie I catch in that deeper cove are always bigger that the ones I catch farther up the lake. Don't know why, I just know that it is.

Jim

Ketchn
05-03-2017, 03:16 PM
all of the above seems to be true to me .....crappie school covers kindergarten to college in many of the spots I visit ...sometimes they are like all out of the same mold and yet other times there 4 inchers mixed with 14 inchers ...go figure