HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gander Mountain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gander Mountain

I see that Camping World bought Gander out of bankruptcy auction. Said they are closing 100 stores but I can not find a list of stores they are closing. Anyone seen the list? Does not sound like the new parent company can be a plus as their ethics in the camping communities are less than spectacular Just curious if our local store is on the chopping block and need to make an appearance each week in search of bargains.
    Thanks Cal Naughton thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw where they had 167 stores to be liquidated, Camping world would operate 17... So 150 stores closing????
    Likes parfume4 LIKED above post
    Thanks RK1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't heard that, but frankly I wonder where Camping World gets all its cash.
    They have opened up quite a few locations in recent years, all stocked heavily with big ticket inventory.
    And they are but one of many companies selling what has become an extremely expensive pastime.
    In the fall of 1972 I took delivery of a new 73 top of the line model 31' Holiday Rambler trailer.
    It cost $10.000, and the 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton Chevy suburban I pulled it with cost new $7200.
    A full hookup site in a KOA was 6 bucks. Our first trip to Disney World in January of 73, we stayed in Ft Wilderness,
    and it cost $16 per night. Gas by the way was considerably under a dollar a gallon.
    So at least to me, I question where all the people are coming from who can afford those things today and use them.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I get mail from them about my store in Montgomery AL, it's closing and they're having a liquidation sale right now. I guess if your on the e-mail list for your store you'll get notified.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Lemonis is to operate at least 17 leases with the remainder of over 100 coming up for auction( which gives them opportunity to retain more). He expects at least half the stores to close.
    I expect the one in Ocala to close, I would be amazed if it didn't..

Post Thanks / Like

I cant see the Lake Mary store remaining open either. Place is a ghost town since Academy moved in next door.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a bunch of research today for a story. They purchased the Gander holdings from bankruptcy for a winning bid around 390 million. The big reason was because Gander owned Overtons which deals in everything from life jackets to water tubes and boating accessories. It was a good fit for their holdings company and was a good idea to bolster in store sales. Camping World and a few other holdings companies made the purchase.

Of the 390 million, around 32 million was for 17 store lease locations. Not really sure of what will remain or close but the wording as of now is that they will liquidate assets at ALL locations in order to start with a clean slate.

This is smart in the sense that they will recoup a large portion of that 390 million. Many of the assets sold by Gander are extremely marked up compared to MSRP from the manufacturer. So, many will flock to the stores and feel like they are getting a deal on a product because they see a savings of 20%. Unfortunately, Gander's history is to mark up as much as 50 or 60% above their wholesale price.

This follows other companies like MC sports who liquidated assets. From a credible source of mine, two days prior to their sale, they went in to the stores and market up all prices. Then, when the sales hit, their prices were actually higher than normal prices. They made more money the first 10 days then they did during the entire Christmas season.

We will see a store die quickly. Maybe for the best. Brick and mortar stores serve a purpose for those of us that need it now and are willing to pay extra for the ability to get it now. Unfortunately, they built big stores with larger footprints, but dropped staple products and catered to people that make odd purchases "yuppies" for lack of a better term.

They tried to live and die by selling online sales. Telling you they don't have a product but you can order it online is a recipe for disaster. When you get online, you have the ability comparison shop. In all cases, prices are cheaper elsewhere and shipping is free. They got away from the very thing that made them money... availability of products
    Thanks feeshrman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The one in my town is closing from the previous announcement and is in liquidation. They had a rod I was interested in from a sales paper of normal Gander Mountain. The store in liquidation could not sell it at that price (40% off) as their liquidation discount at the time was only 20% off. They have been taking their sweet time about increasing the discount having just recently increase it by 10% on some items after a month or more in liquidation. The place is very slowly clearing out and they do not seem to be in a hurry. In a lot of cases, you can get many items on sale elsewhere for better than the liquidation prices at Gander. Maybe they will get lower faster with that much more inventory hitting the market. You also have the Bass Pro/ Cabelas merger still on the table that will likely put more product on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

The one in Paducah, KY is closing. Liquidation sales start this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast