HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning technique and locations from guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning technique and locations from guides

What is everyones take on a guide? If he takes you to some of his spots on a local lake and his techniques that are successful, should he be sore If you run in to him and you are there repeating them?

I know you basically paid for this, but maybe its an awkward scene when you run in to him there again?

Any guides here want to comment?
    Likes DENNIS BOWERS LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that using his techniques wouldn't or shouldn't be an issue for the guide. I will say that you should probably stay off his spots. I know if I take someone I would hope they would respect the time I spent in either building those spots or finding them. However if you use the information you got while fishing with the guide, like depth and type of structure or cover, to find similar spots that shouldn't be an issue.
    Likes DaveB40, DENNIS BOWERS LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A good guide will have numerous spots that will produce for him on any given day. If you tell him you're looking for spots to fish without him, he'll put you on some productive spots that may not interfere with his daily hot spots, but still put fish in your boat. That, my friend, is what a good guide will do. Nobody wants to see a client sitting on the same spot he showed you, day after day after day. And especially if you have different guys fishing with you each day. Now that is totally rude, dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Using the techniques is pretty much going to happen by all that are guided. I have numerous spots on the lakes and I have seen people in them that I have guided. I personally believe that it's OK. I've been doing this for years and have caught fish for a long time and I'm pleased to see someone I took in one of my spots. I have even showed people some that we didn't fish. To me it's all public land, water and fish. Everyone is welcome to fish anywhere i believe. That's why I tell everyone if you need help on reelfoot all u gotta do is ask me I don't mind sharing anything that I know.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who is a guide. He took some of our fellow workers one day and showed them some of his better spots. They all caught limits and he noticed this one dude kept going to the pocket of his coat. Thinking he was texting someone he didn't give it any thought until the next week he found folks on his brush 3 days in a row. come to find out the dude had a hand held GPS. That was the last time he took those guys and is still sore about it today.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a guide but have taken folks fishing with me, visited some good spots I now, and had a hard time ever getting to fish them again. Guess who was sitting in them waving and smiling. Bad etiquette.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes doggone, DaveB40, chaunc, DENNIS BOWERS LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    A good guide will have numerous spots that will produce for him on any given day. If you tell him you're looking for spots to fish without him, he'll put you on some productive spots that may not interfere with his daily hot spots, but still put fish in your boat. That, my friend, is what a good guide will do. Nobody wants to see a client sitting on the same spot he showed you, day after day after day. And especially if you have different guys fishing with you each day. Now that is totally rude, dude.
    Well said.

I was invited with a group and two boats a while back and we fished a local area that I have fished quite a bit years ago. Anyway, we go, and I think its going to be a tough day, but the spawn certainly helped and we had a good day filling the boat for everyone. Even though we didn't fish individual spots or brush piles they had tended, we just dragged bank lines. Now I feel crappy even getting close to that area. Heck, I would just like to go through it and throw a top water or spinner bait for Bass in the morning, but it made a big damper for me there. I certainly wouldn't call 1/2 mile bank lines "their" area even for Crappie fishing. Still, Im gonna feel like a schmuck when I see one of the guides there one day, even if I have a Spinner bait tied on instead of a Crappie jig. I never really thought about this conundrum before, but it costs you more than just money when you get in a boat with a guide on your local waters, unless you have no conscious.
    Likes skeetbum, DaveB40, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen saltwater guides who wouldn't let customers take cellphones on board so they couldn't mark their hot spots with GPS.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are up front with the guide and tell him you are local but struggling to get fish and are looking for techniques and areas that are productive there should be no problems. Now taking a handheld or a phone with mapping and marking his spots is a dbag move. But remembering the general area and refining from there should be ok. If he takes you to some well hidden structure he sunk its on him knowing you will return.
    Likes DaveB40, skeetbum, blueball LIKED above post
    Thanks Lloakley930 thanked you for this post

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish "NEW TO ME" lakes with a guide quite often, and I tell him I would like
    him to teach me new techniques and explain to me what we are looking at on
    his electronics. If I go back to that lake I do NOT go to his spots, but rather
    look for similar spots in different areas of the lake. Just my opinion!
    "Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason" President Ronald Reagan

Proud Member of "TEAM GEEZER"
    Likes timd3200, slackline LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast