HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning reels

For you guys that use spinning reels and cast jigs how do you keep from having a wad of line come off the spool and making a huge knot. I was using 8lb vicious line and 1/16oz jigs. It happened at least 4 different times. Any help would be appreciated. I was using a Diawa small reel. Thanks Bo

Post Thanks / Like

Small spool reels are prone to do this. Watch for a loose loop on the spool each time you cast. If you see any be sure and pull line off until you pull out the loop that has slipped off the spool. These almost always cause a major tangle.

To me 8# mono seems heavy for a light jig and especially on a small spool reel. You want the line to be limp as possible so it lays flat on the spool.
    Just my 2cents worth.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes skeetbum, canebreaker, captcall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

4lb line, vicious is fine, a medium size reel.
    Likes skeetbum, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

try a thin diameter line like Stren Magnathin or Stren Crappie. Try a trick that was taught to me by a old English man to deal with unruly mono. Tie a weight at end of line and let it all out as you walk backwards across a damp soccer/football/baseball field and reel it in under tension. Do it a couple times to help break it in.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

you may have your spool too full. 8 lb may be a bit much for a small spool reel. IDK. I never go smaller than 2500 size for line management, less coiling, reasons. 4-6 lb hi-vis. Put line on under tension, close bail by hand, watch for loose wraps. Should do fine.
    Likes skeetbum, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boa3 View Post
    For you guys that use spinning reels and cast jigs how do you keep from having a wad of line come off the spool and making a huge knot.
    Better reel, bigger spool, thinner line.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    To me 8# mono seems heavy for a light jig and especially on a small spool reel.
    Agreed.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice so far. The only time I use 8lb is trolling cranks, and that's in case I get hung. 4lb line has landed a lot of good fish for me, and you'll love the casting. I use 6lb on a couple of 7'light action rods that I use for everything you can imagine. They stay in the rod box a lot.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all above too. Size 30 spool. Higher quality line. Spool your line. Then pull it from the reel in your yard; tie nothing on the end; reel in applying slight pressure with a moist rag...and watch the numerous extra twists come out of the line while you are reeling it back in Not that I necessarily recommend particular products, I switched from 6lb Mr Crappie to Sufix Elite and immediately noticed an improvement.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes crappie flash, captcall, glasseyes LIKED above post

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You will never have that problem if you get into the practice of manually closing the bail right before the bait hits the water. It takes some getting use to but once you do its almost automatic. 10-4 on the Suffix Elite and don't over fill your spool.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast