Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Yo Moose

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yo Moose

You seem to be very knowledgeable on subjects like this, so maybe you can answer my question. I fish a lot for white perch during summer months in brackish waters. The past few years a lot of them had what appears to be open sores on them. Is this what they are referring to as physteria (sp)? Do you know of any sites that have pictures of this?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I found this link and wanted to add it to this message. It's a toxin that is given off by an algae bloom. Scary stuff.

http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/alex...iews/br16.html

I saw a TV program about that disease. It's nothing to mess with from what I saw on that TV show. Can't remember if it's a bacteria or something else. I think that pollution in the water increased the algal growth and then disease followed.

Now I saw pictures of fishermen getting this disease from just touching the water and it was not pretty.

That was the only time I had heard of this before. If memory serves me right it was associated with sewage.

I think this disease also eats human flesh. I have never encountered that anywere here in IN or anywhere else. I think it was something they found along the coast somewhere or it could have been on one of the Great lakes. It's been a while.

I would recommend doing a web search using Goggle or some other search engine and see what can be found. I can't spell the name so It may be hard for me to do that search. LOL I am the opposite of my old man when it comes to spelling. He could spell just about any word and I can't speeel worth a darn.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    You seem to be very knowledgeable on subjects like this, so maybe you can answer my question. I fish a lot for white perch during summer months in brackish waters. The past few years a lot of them had what appears to be open sores on them. Is this what they are referring to as physteria (sp)? Do you know of any sites that have pictures of this?
    Last edited by Moose1am; 01-20-2005 at 05:40 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thats kinda scarey. That is where we are seeing the fish with it too, creeks off the Albemarle Sound. Never seen any of the red tides down there though. I'll try googling this up and see if I can come up with any pics. Thanks for the info.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va