Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chum For Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chum For Crappie

Anyone ever tried chum to bring in the slabs?
    What were your results?
    Thanks
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Chumming works for all fish. I've never specifically chummed for crappie, but I regularly catch crappie when I chum for other species.

Bob McNally has written articles about it in Crappie World. They would sink some type of grain to draw in minnows which would attract crappie.

There was also an article in In-Fisherman about a Florida saltwater guide who chummed for bass. He would throw out a cast net and load the boat with small shad. Then he'd chum with the live shad. He called it "power chumming" and was very successful. I'd think the same technique would work on crappie, white bass, hybrids, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have chummed for crappie using wax worms several times. And it works. In 2002 during the crappieusa classic at Pickwick, the fishing was very hard due to the hurricane that was going on. There were only around 12 or 13 teams that even weighed in a limit on both days. I found a tree top that had fish on it but could not get them to bite. I fixed up a plastic jar and put around 500 wax worms in it and let it down to the bottom of the tree top. They started floating out of the jar and in less than a minute, we were catching fish and ended up placing 5th in the Classic.
    One of the sponsors of crappie.com is the wax worm company that I got my wax worms from. Grubco out of Hammilton OH. The number there is 1-800-222-3563.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    I have chummed for crappie using wax worms several times. And it works. In 2002 during the crappieusa classic at Pickwick, the fishing was very hard due to the hurricane that was going on. There were only around 12 or 13 teams that even weighed in a limit on both days. I found a tree top that had fish on it but could not get them to bite. I fixed up a plastic jar and put around 500 wax worms in it and let it down to the bottom of the tree top. They started floating out of the jar and in less than a minute, we were catching fish and ended up placing 5th in the Classic.
    One of the sponsors of crappie.com is the wax worm company that I got my wax worms from. Grubco out of Hammilton OH. The number there is 1-800-222-3563.
    Never thought of trying that. Makes good sense though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pontoon docked and have cedar trees under it. I hang cans of dogfood on s hooks down around them. The kids really have a time as this brings in the fish within 24 hours....

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll try floating catfish food ground in a blender...Beware, make sure you wife/girlfriend is at Wallyworld when blending the food....Or buy you one at a yardsale....lol....DemoMan

Post Thanks / Like

I run shad in a blender and mix two cups shad with one cup dry oat meal (not instant). I use this to chum for cats but it brings all kinds of fish in.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a hula hoop tied to our dock. Throw in dry catfish or panfish/bass food. If the waves are not too bad they stay in a long time, some swell and eventually sink, but the bluegill and green sunfish are really attracted.
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I read some where that you could sink a bag of corn meal to chum for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie chum

I've never seen him do it, but my great uncle who fishes High rock and limits out about every time he goes sinkcs brush and pours rice in the water when he sinks it? who knows. What about the minnows in a jar thing? Anybody ever done that and does it work? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast