HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on upgrading the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on upgrading the boat

Been looking for newer boats with no luck... I am thinking about upgrading mine. Ive had it for sale for 4500$ for about a month with only tire kickers.. Its a 1995 Ranger cherokee with a 120 Johnson. Carpets faded, motor loves gas, but other than that i love that boat! Im thinking about upgrading to an Ultrexx with link setup and some Helix 9's. Which will be ALOT more than the ol boat is worth. Am i crazy to do this? Ive looked at new boats just hate to drop 20k+ on a boat i use 4 months out of the year.
    Thanks Ggt, Cray thanked you for this post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford it get it ! You can't take it with ya ! I have been enjoying my up grade for about a year now from a 16' flat bottom 40 hp to a 18' Xpress 125 Mercury. With 898si I do spend more Money in gas . catch rate is about the same get their a lot quicker and I feel so much safer in this boat I want hesitate to hit 3' swells it handles the big water great also can get pretty shallow to and rides great . I love it. i did see my dream boat launching this morning but it was just a dream. 21'xpress with 250 fourstroke 2 power poles 2 helix 12's about a 44000 rig so I guess I keep dreaming !
    Likes Spaceman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I did buy a Triton tr175. 115 honda 4 stroke. I thought i would love it! I sold a week later because i cannot make myself like a fiberglass boat. This old ranger (crestliner) has plenty of deck space. Deeper V up front and rides like a cadillac. Ive not ran across any bargains that i cant live without. I am leaning toward 4 strokes also. I just thought that Ultrexx and new helix setup would pacify me vs. spending serious money on a new boat. The struggle is REAL! Haha! I have narrowed new boats down to Ranger, Triton, or Xpress.
    Likes Ggt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $7500 for my Tracker 175 and the other day I could add up that I had spent that much on TM,rods, depth finders and such.
    Likes Mudskiff LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

if you was to want to ride in a Xpress just holler I live 15 mins from just about any ramp in Scottsboro .i be glad to let ya give her a try .

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Deltarat, if i was to add up what all i have invested in chasing these little fish it would be crazy. You cant put a price on fun! Haha
    Slabprowler, I may holler at you on that, though it will give me that new boat "itch" awful bad again!
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post
    Thanks Cray thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My boat is an '88, so lets not talk about is it worth it. The only question I see is; is that the way you want to have your boat rigged out? I would like bigger screens than the pair of 798's I have now, but I see enough on these and the GPS works good enough for me. The Riptide with Auto pilot does what I need, but I would buy a Terrova if I had it to do over again. Mine has a 150 with 3 carbs that likes fuel, and I consider putting a 115 four stroke on it and cutting fuel consumption. But in the end I just fill it and head out. One day I'll make a change, but it isn't today. I isn't broke, so I ain't fixin it!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks Cray thanked you for this post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not what it worth.its what it cost to replace it.Cannot beat the ride! Had the same on a 93 rebuilt the motor.can buy a lot of gas for 20k.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

There are American workers depending on you to lose your mind and take the plunge for a new one. You know something funny though...I was fishing yesterday...and I was going into some rocky and stumpy coves I had not been in in a while.And my memory being what it is let's just say I made some contact. And I thought to myself if I had a new boat I probably wouldn't even try to come in here.

I got three boats and if you combine the age of all of them they are about a hundred LOL.

Maybe this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPjKSVe1tQ

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would strip the boat you have to the hull and rebuild it. You will be money ahead, even if you repower and add the new electronics. your paying for the new motor and electronics on the new boat anyway. That cost remains the same. When I upgraded from a 14' I wanted a 16' and bought a used boat that needed a complete rebuild with the sole intention of rebuilding it to my specs.
    You already love the boat and know how she performs. you said it yourself, she needs to be repowered and you want new electronics. As long as the hull is structurally sound, the rest is easy. Quick video of what I did.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes skunked again LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast