Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turtles

I fished for many years long ago and never caught a turtle. After years of not fishing my wife has gotten me back into it, seems like some days we catch more turtles than fish (that's a stretch), they are annoying and very hard to unhook.
    Anyone else frustrated by this?

Post Thanks / Like

take them home and make turtle soup ! or even fried turtle, I've had both and it's good eating.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes funfishers, Redge LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yes. Personally I just cut the hook and retie rather than fool with them. Then I move to a different area.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes funfishers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Turtles are my friends ......if you have followed my internet journey you might know the entire story .....but to say the least they are my buds .....lol
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes funfishers, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've hooked some big and mean turtles while bank fishing for catfish and carp. I thank I've only hooked one while fishing from a boat. One was nearly as big as a man hole cover.
    Likes funfishers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If a snapping turtle bites you, it won't let go until it thunders. At least that's what was told to me when I was just a young redneck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    If a snapping turtle bites you, it won't let go until it thunders. At least that's what was told to me when I was just a young redneck!

I was told that also but I don't want to put it to test.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I was in kayak last week with a bream and a shellcracker over the side on a long stringer. The boat seemed to move slightly backwards. I gave an easy paddle forward and the boat definitely moved backward. I assumed the stringer had tangled with some brush so I gave it a tug. It felt heavy but I still wasn't expecting what I saw. I'd guess the beast was 30lbs or better and had no fear nor intention of letting my fish go. I turned the edge of paddle downward and swung for the fences. Connected somewhere on the head. He let go and took off. Butthead ruined my fish though..Name:  20170415_082131.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  40.9 KB
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

I gave caught them in the past catfishing. But last week I was crappie/bream fishing and noticed my line just started moving off to the side. So gave it a little jerk to set the hook and started reeling in and this is what I had.Name:  20170415_065629.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  25.5 KB

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stories/experiences. Did open my back door to the patio one day years ago only to be greeted by a relatively (~12 inches) small snapping turtle. Used a shovel to try moving him. First experience with the strength and vicious nature of snapping turtle albeit one of the smaller ones I have come across.
    See various species of turtles all the time. I have not yet experienced the turtle catch yet. Maybe it's just a matter of time. Thanks for sharing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast