Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern crappie rods scr 143

Post Thanks / Like

Default Southern crappie rods scr 143

Someone tell me your experience with the scr 143. Thinking about buying a set to replace my current spider rigging rods, but I'm concerned they may not be the do-all rod for me. I mainly troll 1/2 rigs, but may troll up to 1 oz rigs depending on conditions. Is 1 oz too much for these rods on the rare occasion I need to use that much weight? I don't like a ton of arch In my rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the weaker one? I've got them and like them. I've used them with 3/4 but not 1 ounce yet. They do have a fair amount of bend though. They aren't quite as stiff as b and m trolling rods,but close

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 163's, had em about a year and love em. I usually fish 1/2-3/4 but it's not uncommon to use 1oz. I've even "power trolled" road runners. 2 1/4 oz road runners and a 1 oz egg weight and they did fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had mine for 3 years and perfectly happy with them. They are designed for 1/2 oz, work well with 3/4 but 1 oz will put a bend in them but they still perform well. If 1 oz is very rare they are the ones I would get. If you use 1 oz more than rarely go with the 143T. It was designed to push 2 oz weights. But I have talked to guys who use them for rigging with 1/2 oz and they say the tip is as sensitive as the regular 143. It just loads up sooner.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1 oz is very rare. I just like knowing if I need it I can use it. 1/2 oz is mainly it. Only time I need heavier is in deep water with pretty good wind. Rare.

Post Thanks / Like

You will be happy with them, I ran 2 ozs on mine pretty regular and now have a set in 16 foot and we ran 3 ozs on them today without issue, best rod for the buck on the market in my opinion.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I have had mine for 3 years and perfectly happy with them. They are designed for 1/2 oz, work well with 3/4 but 1 oz will put a bend in them but they still perform well. If 1 oz is very rare they are the ones I would get. If you use 1 oz more than rarely go with the 143T. It was designed to push 2 oz weights. But I have talked to guys who use them for rigging with 1/2 oz and they say the tip is as sensitive as the regular 143. It just loads up sooner.
    Agree with cray,I run 1oz on mine every now and then,no problems

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 14 foot and love them. They handle 1/2 and3/4 fine. If you use 3/4 to 1 oz I would get the heavier rod. Ed is great to talk to and deal with. Give him a call he will be straight and honest with you.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, broharrell LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The 143 will do fine for your application. If you ran 1 oz or larger often, I'd recommend you try Ed's SCR143T. They are built to use 2 oz of weight with very little bend. I power troll and pull cranks with them and they are perfect for that chore.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 143T and use 3/4 oz most of the time. I love them they are very very good rods!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast